mtbr member

Anyone here a paying Motionbased.com user?

I like thier features, I like that they have a large network of users posting trails (even some in my relatively non-bike area), but I'm annoyed by only having access to my 10 latest uploads...

So, is anyone here paying the $100 or so a year for full access?

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I don't pay....

EDIT: there will still be a "paid version" with extra features, but I'd wait to see if the "last 10" restriction still holds

let me look it up to see if that still holds...

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Yep, been a member since about April of 2006 and plan to re-up again this spring. I've actually ended up meeting people because of my workout postings and finding folks who ride the same trails and in the same race series. For me, it's well worth it.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

Flaccid Member
    I've seen too many issues with lost data and lost /corrupted files, as well as too much down time to want to pay to trust them with my data. Hell, they even lost my name and had my account name get corrupted, and made me get another name to login ane store data under. Imagine having your rides stored under two names. Took quite a while and many emails to eventually get it all straightened out. Seems crazy to me to pay for them to store your files, when you have them already on your Training Center software and your harddrive. $150 will buy you a stand alone 500Gig mobile hard drive. $100 a year for a subscription? Not for me, your needs might be different.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    My #1 use for it is to get .kml files out to google earth, and to view them on google maps. I send links of rides to my friends that I rode with that don't have gps. It just sucks to want to look something up and have it be more than 10 rides out...

BM

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    My #1 use for it is to get .kml files out to google earth, and to view them on google maps. I send links of rides to my friends that I rode with that don't have gps. It just sucks to want to look something up and have it be more than 10 rides out...

BM
    if you have a garmin mapping GPS, you can already do that by exporting to Google Earth from MapSource and then saving the KML file.

mtbr member
    That sounds like a welcome change!

BM

Arf, he said.
    As a workaround, if you log out of your motionbased account, then do a search as a 'guest' for your username, it should bring up all your rides, not just the last 10. PITA, but it works.

Two Tired
    There is nothing magical about a kml file. You can output it directly from programs like TopoFusion or SportTracks that also address the 10 ride limit, lost account info, etc. listed above because it is all on your PC. You can also output a gpx file which also has time (needed for speed) and elevation. Google Earth can also read the gpx file directly. If you want to be looking up previous rides, either of these programs works better than Google Earth or Motionbased.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

No longer working with Mac

I've been happy with them up until now, but they've gone downhill fast. I just got a new Mac, and it came with their new operating system (Leopard). This is not compatible with MotionBased. So, I cannot upload any of my data. I'm about halfway through my yearly subscription; and if they haven't gotten it figured out soon, I'll never reup. Along those lines, does anyone know if and when they'll get the bugs worked out? Also, I hear good things about a site called Ascent. Anyone know anything about them or any other alternatives? Thanks.

trail rat
    Look at crisillo's link it post #3.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Ascent is a great program. It lacks a few features of Motionbased but overall it is much better. The programmer frequently updates the software (it is at 1.8.8 after less than a year) and incoporates many of the users requests. I say try out the demo, check out the forums on their site, http://www.montebellosoftware.com/ and you will probably end up buying it. I did.

Bike Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Gurney
    I've been happy with them up until now, but they've gone downhill fast. I just got a new Mac, and it came with their new operating system (Leopard). This is not compatible with MotionBased. So, I cannot upload any of my data. I'm about halfway through my yearly subscription; and if they haven't gotten it figured out soon, I'll never reup. Along those lines, does anyone know if and when they'll get the bugs worked out? Also, I hear good things about a site called Ascent. Anyone know anything about them or any other alternatives? Thanks.
    It's working fine for me on Leopard. Make sure you download the latest browser plug-in that's compatible with Safari 3.

I've been a paid member since last fall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i bought it last december when they had a special.....$99 for two years.....have one year to go but once garmin had the software for macintosh and i installed it, i haven't been on

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Gurney
    It works if you load and install the Garmin Communicator. Here's the direct link (click here) for the Safari version.

If you need help, let me know. I'm happy to assist you.

Works great!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rower_CPU
    It's working fine for me on Leopard. Make sure you download the latest browser plug-in that's compatible with Safari 3.

I've been a paid member since last fall.
    Oops, missed this post, sorry!

I am one who pays for Motionbased two years at a time. It works great for me.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com