mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Anyone consider Ostars?

I have been considering an Osram Ostar LED as a single emitter, possibly in an MR11 package as I believe Ledil has a 35mm optic.

See here

Higher voltage, but just over 500 lumen in a single emitter.
    live strong or die.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thats the exact project im planning, Ive got the ostar emitters and mark at cutter has some ledil optics for me im just waiting for george from taskled to finish the UIB2 for the maxflex as i think the thermal protection will be handy for these babys considering the 24v Vf.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Where did you get your emitters? Which ones are you using? (part No.)
    live strong or die.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I didnt know a maxflex would drive an ostar, I was thinking cChipo.
    live strong or die.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i cant remember the name ill look tonight its a company in Australia. The Maxflex will drive up to 24v

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    The main problem is efficacy (the amount of light per watt used) and optics choices. If you can properly heatsink it and don't mind running a bigger battery, that is a possibility. They are expensive and hard to find, though.

As far as optics, Fraen, Ledil, and Khatod all make optics/reflectors for the Ostar.

Also, FYI, they have 1,000 lumen versions, now... They run at about 17W, btw.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Have you got a link to the optics your thinking of using for this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    live strong or die.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have one of these Im going to use.

http://www.ledil.fi/pages/3097/
    live strong or die.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GMF
    The main problem is efficacy (the amount of light per watt used) and optics choices. If you can properly heatsink it and don't mind running a bigger battery, that is a possibility. They are expensive and hard to find, though.

As far as optics, Fraen, Ledil, and Khatod all make optics/reflectors for the Ostar.

Also, FYI, they have 1,000 lumen versions, now... They run at about 17W, btw.
    I actually have 2 of the 1100 lumen versions, not 500 lm, the brightness group is QZ which the datasheet lists as having a luminous flux of between 970-1120 lumens, which gives a raw optical efficiency of between 39.6-45.7 lm/W at 24.5v 1000ma. My emitters came from soanarplus.com here in Australia for roughly half of what they have it listed on their website. WTF?

I agree that thermal management will be a challenge, thats why i think the new UIB2 firmware for the maxflex with thermal throttling will be handy, i plan to make several housings to get the amount of heat dissipation right, with the plan to have a slightly larger heavier housing for the bars to run a higher drive current, probably at 700ma but up to 1000ma occasionally if possible, and a smaller housing for the helmet to run between 350-500ma.

I will be interested to see what Vf is measured at each drive current as its listed at being a minimum of 17.4v, average of 20.8v and max of 24.5v, so once i have some measurements for this i will at least have a better idea of runtimes, lumen output etc!

Anyway it will be interesting to see the result as i already have a triple cree q2 achesalot style light as well as a L&M Arc to compare it with, the other interesting thing will be the beam pattern that these ledil optics produce, considering beam pattern has been such a hot topic on here off late!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hi All, I am currently making a light based on the 1100 lumen ostar. The biggest challenge of all is the thermal managment, as the light output drops as temperature increases, wasting power. I have run many CFD simulations on various heatsink designs and have come up with a nice compact design that allows for minimal temperature rise. I will be making several of these using Wire EDM and then anodize finsh. I should have samples done within two weeks or so.

I'll post back when finished.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaskell
    Hi All, I am currently making a light based on the 1100 lumen ostar. The biggest challenge of all is the thermal managment, as the light output drops as temperature increases, wasting power. I have run many CFD simulations on various heatsink designs and have come up with a nice compact design that allows for minimal temperature rise.
    What optic are you planning on using? I haven't looked into the dimensions of the different optics in detail, but the ones i am more familiar with seems to be much wider than you seem to have room for. Where are you putting the driver?
    Also, does the 90C rise (!) over ambient in still air concern you? I believe that is above the max spec of the Ostar. You'd probably have to be standing still for a good 10-15 minutes for that to be a problem though.

Good luck, that looks like a fairly minimalist design - i hope it works out for you. Wear gloves!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    What optic are you planning on using? I haven't looked into the dimensions of the different optics in detail, but the ones i am more familiar with seems to be much wider than you seem to have room for. Where are you putting the driver?
    Also, does the 90C rise (!) over ambient in still air concern you? I believe that is above the max spec of the Ostar. You'd probably have to be standing still for a good 10-15 minutes for that to be a problem though.

Good luck, that looks like a fairly minimalist design - i hope it works out for you. Wear gloves!
    Those CFD sims show the first prototypes None of those pictures show "still air" either, not sure were that came from?

The driver is mounted in the battery pack, under my seat. It is a custom made one capable of driving two 1100 lumens ostars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

as for the lens here is the mechanical drawing, its all modeled in solidworks so I am fairly confident about it all fitting together well.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaskell
    Those CFD sims show the first prototypes None of those pictures show "still air" either, not sure were that came from?

The driver is mounted in the battery pack, under my seat. It is a custom made one capable of driving two 1100 lumens ostars.
    I apparently falsely assumed that "static temperature" and 120C was a still air condition. What is this picture showing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I apparently falsely assumed that "static temperature" and 120C was a still air condition. What is this picture showing?

The static in this case refers to the temperature, ie it is not a transient simulation but steady state. The air velocity is ~200LFM This picture is showing what happens when the new Ostar is driven at a medium current in a plain copper end cap, as some people use on lower end LED's. I did it as an exercise to see what would happen when you scale the power much higher.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm also currently trying to figure out the Ostars. I have a Ledil lens spec'd but would be using the 4 die version not the 6, so I believe they would be around 500 lm.I think it uses around 14 Vf. Much more doable than getting a 24 volt battery and should run much cooler than the 6 die.
    I'm still trying to figure out battery and driver setup.
    I'm planning on using it as a helmet light.
    I also have to figure out what kind of housing I should use. I would love to mount it in a smaller flashlight housing I could add a big heatsink to.
    I just have to find a good MR11 compatible housing the lens fits.

Eric S