Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

Any of you have a Roomba and a voltmeter handy?

I could use a favor. Wifey said that the Roomba battery died, so before just busting out the Amex, I figured that I would do some diagnostics.

My first reaction was "yay! here is as good excuse to build a new Li Ion battery out of parts from Deal Extreme, and bump it up to 2800 (or more( Ma!"
    But first, I want to figure out what is going on.

The charger that plugs into the wall is giving out (close enough) to the correct 22.5v

BUT the Homing/charging dock is giving out a severely low value, and I am not sure why. Curious if this is correct!

Additionally, the battery gave a read of a whole different value:

So, I am thinking something is hinky.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The battery has 12 cells. That's 14.4V charged. Do you have anything like a hobby charger like Imax B6 ?
    I used it to check Roomba batteries in charge/discharge.
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

Rhymes with fartmaster
    All-Battery.com: Total Power Solution for Every Battery Need has relatively cost-effective replacement battery packs for the Roombas. Ours is still amazingly on the original battery pack. We bought it three years ago and it is run once a week. Expecting to get a call from the fire department some day when one of the cells has a rapid discharge incident while we’re at work.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Any of you have a Roomba and a voltmeter handy?

You can't replace the NiXx cells without replacing the charging circuit and providing a low voltage cut off, another thing to consider is discharge rate, I don't know how many amps a roomba pulls. I suggest some serious reading about li-ion technology first.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Why do you assume that (we) wouldn't know that?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Because of your initial post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I had constantly viewed as automated vacuums to intrigue toys... until the point that two or three companions got them and had great encounters. So we got one as a Christmas present to the two of us. We have a solitary level 3 room home of around 2600 sq ft. We additionally have around half one end to the other cover and half tile floors with mats and five felines. Feline hair has been a steady issue. We cut off the two visitor rooms and the visitor shower just to keep the felines and their hair out of those rooms that didn't get much utilize. Whatever is left of the house is genuinely very much loaded with furniture and an existence time of stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 4