mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Any reason for me not to buy the AyUp 08 Roadie kit as my light set

Hey all,
    been looking at lights for ages now and trying to work out whats best for me to get.
    I mainly commute but plan to also do some off roading occassionally at nights.
    For the off roading I'll obviously need some lights.

Been looking around and didn't want anything too expensive but it seems like I dont have much choice if I want anything reasonably bright that I could actually use to ride in unlit off road areas with.

Finally thinking I'm going to get the AyUp's 08 Roadie's.
    http://www.ayup.com.au/australia-shop-kits.html

I live in Australia so any cheaper lights I bought (eg NiteRider MiNewt x2's) would incur shipping costs as well and conversion rates so wouldn't end up working out that much cheaper I dont think?

I quite fancy long runtimes (want at least 3hrs).

Anyone got any reason I shouldn't get the above lights as my final choice or anything I should get instead?

They're going to end up costing $281 AUD all in all (shipping and interest).

Thanks

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    If you don't need more light (the second light)...it should be more than fine....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Do you mean as in also a helmet light because the AyUp's are two lighted.

Anything you think would be better or do a pretty good job still and be noticibly cheaper?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by nila
    Do you mean as in also a helmet light because the AyUp's are two lighted.

Anything you think would be better or do a pretty good job still and be noticibly cheaper?
    yeah..I meant one light as in helmet OR bar, if it provides enough light for your needs, it is a fine setup.

and considering the additional costs you would have when going for other brands, it seems like the best choice.

Keep Riding !!
    I use the Ay-Ups (x2) Helmet & Bar for mountain bike (enduros & mid week 'dirt crits') and think they're great value for what you get, now I think about AUD$500 for the double light set-up

The Roadie kit will be great for commuting, cars will even flash their headlights at you!!

For offroad (Mountain Bike) riding the one Ay-up may be adequate, get the narrow beam and use on your helmet, it all depend on how fast you want to go
    However if you get a taste for night time offroad riding you'll soon be looking for a wider beam bar mount light as well

Ay-up also have great customer service and usually very quick delivery times, express post in 2-3 days!
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I dont go that fast - I get scared by the big drops and wimp out and take them slow (which makes them harder I know!).
    $500 is WAY more than I plan to spend, really couldn't justify that with the amount of riding I do.
    Hopefully I'll get a taste for night riding and it'll justify the purchase of these.
    I'm gonna start with it bar mounted and then see how I go and I guess at some point test it on my helmet too.

Wouldn't mind experimenting a bit with some DIY jobies at some point too, I think it'd be fun.

weight weenie in training
    I'd get an Intermediate beam light, run it on your bars on the road, and on your helmet for off-road. The kit includes the helmet mount and the extension cord to run the 6hr battery in your jersey pocket or backpack.

mtbr member
    I am new to MTB this past year so not extremely fast, but certainly trying. I initially tried running a AA battery powered cateye on the bars and a hiking headlamp on my helmet. The light was so dim, and my skill and confidence low which combined to make me go so slow night riding was not fun at all. I recently got the Ayup regular kit (one set on the bars and one on the helmet) and it is terrific. There is more than enough light for me to ride as fast as I possibly can without outrunning my light. The only issue I've found so far is getting used to the motion of the two bright light beams. The best way I can describe it is mild motion sickness. Nothing so terrible to stop me, but certainly something I need to get used to.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Ayup's. My concern would be is only one bright enough. If you aren't very fast yet though I would think you are fine, and could always buy a 2nd roadie kit later when you desire more light.

weight weenie in training
    For the last week I've been running a single Ay-Up Luxeon on my helmet and riding at near daylight speeds. So one of the current Cree Q5 lights will be enough for XC trail riding. Adding a bar light will increase visibility, confidence and speed though.

mtbr member
    Ay Up = good! Very happy with mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hav ing a light on your bars gives you much better perception of the sizes of rocks etc than one of your head due to better shadows. Think about it, anything near your eyes is not really going to cast a shadow you can see.

Last year in the Scott 24 it got very dusty. I had a HID on my handlebars and an old halogen on my helmet and it was great. The HID let me see where I was going and the hologen allowed me to look around switchbacks etc. It seemed everyone had the same opinion after that race. A brighter light on the handle bars gave better depth perception and you could see though the dust better than brighter on the helmet and nothing or less bright on the bars.

I saw the Ayups there and they looked very nice. I would personally get the two pack if doing lots of off roading otherwise just get one and put it on your bars. At least with Ayup you could buy another single later on if you really want it.

Remember however that even in Australia there is some cost for postage so get at least two handle bar brackets for two bikes and one helmet one to experiment. You might prefer the helmet.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I've been using a single medium on the bars of my road bike, and it's enough, though I might think about getting a fifth lightset, an intermediate, for use on the bars standalone.

Consider paying the extra and getting a full regular kit though.
    Quote Originally Posted by tom2304
    Yep farkin.net is mostly immature kids asking how to put dual crown forks on hardtails and such.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    you could get a roadie kit and spend an extra bit on another batt. and an older luxeon for the bars

$30 for a 3hr batt, + $50 for luxeon