mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Any online resources to learn the basics?

Trying to find a good site to pearn the basics of light building. Things like different drivers and how they work. Also some circut diagrams. I am pretty skilled at electronics but I am just trying to get the basics of diy lights.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Start reading threads here. Plenty of useful information about everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have. Most of the threads read out like experinced people.

A driver will be talked about but I would like to know why they choose A over B.

Wasnt sure if there us a site like that.

mtbr member
    not really, as each component of a light is dependent on the other components chosen, so the possibilities as you've found are endless.

The best approach I find is to start with what you want to achieve (commuter light, helmet light, all-in-one vs. separate pack, multi LED vs. single LED) and flesh it out from there. Then post a new thread with a rough outline of what you want to achieve, any limitations involved and a general list of bits, then we'll all weigh in with our opinions and advice It's what I did when I made my 1st LED light 3 years ago and it's worked out pretty well

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It's been years ago - but myself (and a lot of others around here) got started in the DIY thing building what were called the "achesalot" or "copperhead" style of light.

The name comes from a forum member here Achesalot - but he hasn't been active in about a year or so. He had a website for his builds and how-to stuff that is still up and running.

www.bikeled.org scroll down to the section called Construction zone - he explains a lot of the basics. Althought his site is out of date on some of the newer equipment, he explains how they work quite well.

I have built a lot of his type housings, still ride with them. Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the link. Thats the kind of info I was after.
    Last edited by machine4321; 09-28-2012 at 08:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    I have. Most of the threads read out like experinced people.

A driver will be talked about but I would like to know why they choose A over B.

Wasnt sure if there us a site like that.
    At the CPF forums I wrote an introduction to modding flashlights, in two parts. Since the CPF's is more ofline and online these days, I have it all on my website now. Although it is starting to be a little dated (LED technology advances quite fast!), there might be some stuff in there that you might find useful:

Part 1

Part2

Will