mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Another MCE Newbie question

OK guys you've gotten me hooked, I want to try build another light. The Cutter MCE MR11 kit (http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut947) intrigues me. But my question is: Because an MCE has four dies, do I have to multiply the vf by four? If that is the case, I'm assuming that a 7.4 volt battery pack would be too small for the project.

My copy of Electronics for Dummies is due to arrive on Monday. I'm trying to shake off this newbie mantel.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Cutter site says the MC-E is on a series star. That means your Vf will be ~13.5V. The Recom driver is a buck type driver. That means your battery voltage needs to be higher than the LED Vf plus the overhead requirement of the driver, typically 1.5-2V. A 14.8V battery (4S Li-Ion) will work but fall out of regulation and begin to dim part way through the run time. Some people like that as a way to tell how much power they have left. An 18.5V battery (5S Li-Ion) will power the light at a full brightness until the cells protection circuit cuts them off with no warning. An upgrade to a Taskled driver gives you the benefit of battery monitoring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Vancbiker,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. On to plan B...