mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Another dual XML build

It has been a while in the works now and I finally have enough done to feel it is worth sharing. This light will use an L-Flex to drive two XMLs. Battery pack will be 2s2p made of Panasonic 3400mah cells.

Another dual XML build-photo-1-.jpgAnother dual XML build-image.jpgAnother dual XML build-photo.jpg

I didn't think the switch housing through !00%. The hole location for the cable is not compatible with the location I want to mount the housing. I will likely be making another switch housing in the next few days with the hole 90 degrees to the current location. Hopefully I can make it a bit shorter at the same time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    nice I like it. Will it have enough cooling? It looks pretty small and my dual xml lights heat up pretty fast. I am amazed how much heat alittle LED can produce at 3 amps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    CAD model says there are 22+ square inches to dissipate heat, if I remember right. The housing fits a 45mm reflector so it isn't exactly small. And if it doesn't work, I'll have a good excuse to make V1.1

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice housing! What does the beam look like with the 45mm reflectors? I have always preferred the beam from a reflector over an optic.

At 22 sq. in. area it will be fine as long as there is moderate airflow over it. I have done a few trials with a dual XML at 3.5A and about 14 sq. in. area. It will stay under a 60C cut back temp as long as you have a pretty serious breeze on it. It would work OK as long as one was diligent about running on mid level most of the time and reserve high for the fast downhills.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I don't have beam shots yet. I've made little progress in the past month. Version 2 of the switch housing is finished and I cobbled together a charging station.
    Another dual XML build-switch-housing-rev-2.jpg

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Looking good. I like the way you undercut the mounts that the front cover will screw into to save on weight on ver 1 and I love the minimalist form of V2. I assume the bar will form part of the heat sinking

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The undercut was a miserable feature to add. Not having access to a proper tool, I used a boring bar in the spindle with a chunk of cobalt hanging a good distance out the end. The finish is a bit rough but the important part was to get the extra weight out.

V2 is just a remote switch housing to replace the clunky one posted at the top of the thread. No heat dissipation needed and carbon bars wouldn't do the trick if heat did need to be pulled away.

mtbr member
    Did you mill the housing manually?
    Looking good..

I like the switch mount...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks! I cut the inside and outside profiles of the housing on a CNC mill. Undercut, holes, threads, and fins were added with a manual mill.

Both switch housings are 100% manual milled.

mtbr member
    great work with the machining! If you want to undercut again, it's theoretically pretty simple to make your own t-slot cutter from drill rod. You might need a couple though - a small radius one to make the gap large enough for a larger second cutter. Note that's pure theory on my part, though it all makes sense in my head

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the kind words. I finally finished this light, well at least to the point to make it useable. I cobbled together a lens and handlebar mount so I could go on a night ride this past weekend. Both will probably be replaced at some point in the future.Another dual XML build-photo.jpg
    Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.