mtbr member
    May 2007

Another DIY dual Cree light

With a lot of inspiration from the lights being built on here, I've gone the DIY LED route as well to improve on the 15W MR11 halogen light I've been using for the last couple of years.

Its not the best looking thing in the world, but does the job well enough for a first attempt.
    It consists of:
    - two Cree XR-E P4s in series
    - nFlex running at 1 Amp
    - L2 Optics lenses with clip-on diffusers (using one each of 8 and 16 degree for now)
    - 4.5mm thick aluminium U channel, no extra heatsink
    - polycarbonate front cover
    - 8 x AA NiMh batteries

Its far better than the halogens, with a much more even spread of light and of course a lot brighter and longer lasting. I've only really used it properly once so far, as currently in the UK it doesn't get dark until really late, but I'm very happy with its output. I haven't got round to trying different combinations of diffusers yet, but the current setup seems fine.

Website with more information and some beamshots at http://salem.bravehost.com//led_light.

Edited to remove link to image - it worked in the preview but only because I'd already had it open...
    Last edited by neil__j; 06-29-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Spanish biker
    Hi, don't are bad for begin, nice light perhaps the optics are very degree open I think that you would have more better light with 2 10 optics.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The L2 lenses are only 6, 8, 16 or 8x25 degrees, but I'll definitely be trying two 8 degrees to see if that produces enough side spill.