Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Another Aspheric XML - single

So i didnt hijack Chris's thread i thought id start a new one..
    Over the weekend i created this, no drawings just put the ali in the mill and did what came into my head..
    Theres an oring under the flange on the aspheric, rear cover will get rubber gasket treatment.
    All that i need to do is just need to fin the hell out of it..

mtbr member
    ooh am lovin all this aspheric stuff!!
    very nice GD!
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I'll repeat me sentiments, nice one Jay. A true artist at work

help with the zip please
    Looks good so far.

what are the "corner lugs" half way along the side for?

mtbr member
    I have been silently following the thread started by troutie and have really been digging all this aspheric XM-L experimentation stuff. Being a true "go for the throw addict" I really love what I'm seeing. I keep wondering though, "What the hell took so long"!

Anyways, I was silently musing over the "bug eyed" look and started thinking to myself, "What if someone in-sits the lens a little further back in the light head"(?)
    Alas, I have lots of ideas floating around in my head but no way to fabricate anything myself. Golddigger I really like the look of this single aspheric XM-L as it seems to be completely following my own train of thought. I can't wait to see how the beam pattern turns out. The popcorn bowl is full and my peanut gallery hat is firmly in place...let the show continue.

Other food for thought: Since these are turning out so nice with XM-L's I wonder if someone might try building something aspheric with the SST-90 for maybe a little more output...this time I'm thinking out loud.

mtbr member
    Cheers for the comments guys

Emu the lugs, the top two will get a reduction, but the bottom two I will use for the mounting point. A bolt into each side so the light can be adjusted up and down..

I just hope I got the led height right, I didn't want a total projection if the led die. So I went for 11.5mm to take it out of focus. I probably wasted more time playing with beam shots on the ceiling than anything else..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    Cheers for the comments guys ...

....I just hope I got the led height right, I didn't want a total projection if the led die. So I went for 11.5mm to take it out of focus. I probably wasted more time playing with beam shots on the ceiling than anything else..
    I was thinking that it would be nice if you could somehow machine a track inside the build. Maybe mount the emitter/driver on some sort of sled that could be adjusted so you could change the focus to dial it in as one see's fit. Of course I suppose that would compromise heat sinking....another idea shot down.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    I was having a think about the great lights you guys are making and had a thought. Have you considered using a wide angle reflector or collimating lens between the led and aspheric to ensure that as much light from the led die is directed into the aspheric lens to theoretically improve the efficiency and theoretical light output, or is it simply not required?

mtbr member
    I thought it wouldnt be long before you got to using that aspheric Jay

Sorry I did not reply to your question on my thread as was away for a few days .

Brad I tried the reflectors and stuff it is ugly the beam it produced

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by brad72
    ... Have you considered using a wide angle reflector or collimating lens between the led and aspheric to ensure that as much light from the led die is directed into the aspheric lens to theoretically improve the efficiency and theoretical light output, or is it simply not required?
    It can be done, but I put it down as too hard. The second lens makes it very sensitive to focal distances. That is, if you get one length wrong by 0.3mm then it goes from good to terrible. Add the fact that you lose 10% light with every lens and it quickly becomes not worth it. To do it right you need 2 adjustable mechanisms (one for each lens) to get it just right and then lock it in place.

The reflector can work if it collects light and projects it around the side of the lens, but then you need to mount the lens within a larger flat lens. I figure for the 10% extra light you save it's not worth having a 45-50mm wide body around a 27mm lens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    I thought it wouldnt be long before you got to using that aspheric Jay

Sorry I did not reply to your question on my thread as was away for a few days .

Brad I tried the reflectors and stuff it is ugly the beam it produced
    Do you still have a spare 30mm aspheric Chris? think you said you had 4 left and 2 were accounted for.. if you can spare one id be happy to paypal you for it again.. thank you please

I thought you was away as i looked out the window to the north and couldn't see any northern lights

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brad72
    I was having a think about the great lights you guys are making and had a thought. Have you considered using a wide angle reflector or collimating lens between the led and aspheric to ensure that as much light from the led die is directed into the aspheric lens to theoretically improve the efficiency and theoretical light output, or is it simply not required?
    Well, the aspheric is basically a collimator and as such really works when focussing a point source of light. If you introduce a reflector or collimator then you are changing the light approaching the back of the aspheric from radial rays from a point source close to the lens to a series of parallel rays - in effect focussing the LED back at infinity. The aspheric would spread this light wide rather than focussing it, as it is already focussed. Of course if you use a reflector and an aspheric then you end up with some focussed light out the front (from the direct emitter light striking the aspheric) and some pretty zany spread light from the reflector through the aspheric - it gets mighty weird if you use a textured reflector!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Other food for thought: Since these are turning out so nice with XM-L's I wonder if someone might try building something aspheric with the SST-90 for maybe a little more output...this time I'm thinking out loud.
    It's been done over on cpf for flashlights - see here

Michael

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Actually now I think about it I do have a flashlight at home with both a reflector and an aspheric - it's one of those no-battery jobbies which works when you squeeze the grip. It has a very shallow reflector (not enough to bring the emitted light parallel) and a very mild aspheric (not enough to produce an image of the LED). The two combined form an okay beam, but no better than a reflector on its own. No idea why they did it!

mtbr member
    My dive light uses a SST-50 and is bright enough.. the difference is that it uses a fresnel aspheric lens.
    You get a bigger beam than a XML as the die is larger. Also the beam is nicer as you dont get the 3 little cut outs projected where the wires are on the die like you do on the XML.

I think a SST-90 will melt your helmet... i think it would also be difficult to cool a SST-50 for a helmet light..

Here's a few shots of my SST-50 based dive light..
    under water

My usual haunt

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My dive light uses a SST-50 and is bright enough.. the difference is that it uses a fresnel aspheric lens.
    Very interesting! Do you need another lens in front of the fresnel to prevent dirt etc. getting in the grooves, or is it mounted with the grooves facing inwards? Or are the grooves so small that stuff doesn't get stuck in there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfj197
    Very interesting! Do you need another lens in front of the fresnel to prevent dirt etc. getting in the grooves, or is it mounted with the grooves facing inwards? Or are the grooves so small that stuff doesn't get stuck in there?
    I need another lens as my dive light is focusable and obviously needs to be water proof..

The other factor i believe that may play a factor here is refraction of light, I'm not sure what would happen to the beam in water if the fresnel aspheric lens was water facing?? any thoughts..?
    Here's a close up of the lens..

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The other factor i believe that may play a factor here is refraction of light, I'm not sure what would happen to the beam in water if the fresnel aspheric lens was water facing?? any thoughts..?
    Verrrry good point - hadn't thought of that! Actually that would be an issue with any aspheric directly in contact with the water, wouldn't it? It would react differently to in the air so would spread the beam out further (assuming the emitter is at the focal length of the lens in air).
    Anyways, sorry for the thread drift - I love the look of your single aspheric. I'm assuming it's getting a single XM-L?

mtbr member
    Yep..the only XML i have left is a de domed one...
    Need to order some more and a tripple for a cute 3 optic..I'm getting a little collection of lights now. To many for my own needs..

Id love to mess about with a SST-50 but there not exactly cheap..! and 5amps drive

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Thanks for all the input regarding reflectors and aspherics. I haven't used aspherics myself so this saves a bit of grief in a design that would give sub par results

mtbr member
    Do you still have a spare 30mm aspheric Chris? think you said you had 4 left and 2 were accounted for.. if you can spare one id be happy to paypal you for it again.. thank you please

I thought you was away as i looked out the window to the north and couldn't see any northern lights

i am away till sat. so will get one in the post when I get back

also got plenty of xmls if you want one of those too
    just got some u bins in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    i am away till sat. so will get one in the post when I get back

also got plenty of xmls if you want one of those too
    just got some u bins in
    Thanks Chris, I'm going to order some xml's from cutter this week so no rush on them. But thanks for the offer.
    I have a cute 3 that i need to use, something round coming of the mill for that.. so i need to get one of the tripple boards.
    Shame cutter dont have a quad board as i have a 35mm quad optic, maybe a cute 4?
    Let me know what you want for the aspheric and i'll send you the paypal. Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm very envious of you guys with your mills and lathes and other fancy tools. I wonder if I can stick a piece of aluminium in the chuck of my drill?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfj197
    I'm very envious of you guys with your mills and lathes and other fancy tools. I wonder if I can stick a piece of aluminium in the chuck of my drill?
    Pillar drill?
    If your using a pillar drill/drill press you can plunge with and end mill, but be carefull with sideways force on the cutter. You could take very light cuts passing the ali past the cutter.
    But go to deep and risk pulling the chuck out of the drill, which will probably hit you in the process. spining chuck with cutter and the weight of it hitting you

Have a read of this post by Chelboad, he bored out a hole with a drill press
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...round-up-build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Pillar drill?
    Nooo such luck. Bosch mains handheld drill, Makita cordless or a Dremel. My comment was a bit tongue in cheek! I think I'm stuck with the Dremel.

Actually I'd seen the odd post on using a pillar drill as a mill, and even looked at the mill tables available. Is interesting, but seeing as I don't currently have either the pillar drill or a mill table I can only dream at the moment!

mtbr member
    Quick update...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast