Thread: Another 305 ?

mtbr member

New question here. Another 305 ?

It was brought to my attention that the 305 doesnt calculate elevations into the mileage...just straight line distance. I raced a suppose approx 9.5 to 10 mile course yesterday with 2 laps and the distances were 8.34 and 5.34 and the week prior 7.82 and 7,83 same course. So the question is how do reconcile actual distance versus point to point GPS distance?

Thanks for any help

Rob

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpstoked
    It was brought to my attention that the 305 doesnt calculate elevations into the mileage...just straight line distance. I raced a suppose approx 9.5 to 10 mile course yesterday with 2 laps and the distances were 8.34 and 5.34 and the week prior 7.82 and 7,83 same course. So the question is how do reconcile actual distance versus point to point GPS distance?
    The difference in distance you are experiencing is not due to linear distance vs. terrain distance (elevation). Probably signal loss, or the ever-so-annoying start/stop button (the one "feature" that has prevented me from ever using an Edge unit).

Here's a more detailed discussion of the issue:

GPS tracking question

Basically, even if the unit were to compute terrain distance, the difference would likely be too small to notice, especially given other sources of GPS error.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member

thanks

makes more sense and i see the need for secondary measure.

ps...grew up in Tucson many a year ago. can only imagine spring riding in the foothills

rob