mtbr member

Amoeba type light

I'm looking to build a light with the 3/4" alu square tubing. I would like to use two XP-G leds, a buck driver and 14.8v battery packs. I want at least a high/low setting. I will be using this for a bar mount so I'm looking for a more floody beam. Anyone see any issues with this setup? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A buck driver that will handle up to 16.8 volts and fit into 3/4" square tubing. If you don't want to put the driver in the housing then no problem.

mtbr member
    Exactly why I'm asking these questions! Didn't even think of that. Guess I'll have to work on that!

mtbr member
    Well, after looking for a driver with no luck I guess I'm gonna have to figure out a way to remote a driver or extend the back portion of the light enough to fit a good driver.

Dinner for wolves
    Are you stuck on the battery pack, or will you consider other options? I am considering building a 2xpg light using a 3V power supply and one or two micropucks to drive them. I have no personal experience with the micropucks, mind you, but I think buckpucks kick butt.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm kinda stuck on the battery so I can use the same batts for my helmet light and bar light. I'm thinking I'll just find a way to extend the light enough lengthways for a b-flex or n-flex to fit.

Lets RIDE!
    Some of the smaller round driver boards (DX, sandwich shoppe?) should fit into the 3/4" square tubing on the diagonal.

If you cut away the back half of the mating walls of your 3/4" square tubes, you can get a BuckPuck (or pretty much any driver) inside.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Awesome!! That's kinda what I was looking at trying. Has anyone found any optics/lenses that will fit the 3/4" stuff of will I have to modify to get things to fit. Thanks

Lets RIDE!
    I don't think there are any square optics that fit the 3/4" tubing. Scar modifies the reflectors he uses in the his Amoebas to fit the space.

Here's my version of a 3/4" square tube light (link to full build details is in that post). You should be able to use some of the smaller XP-G optics (carclo, ledil?). They're smaller than the tubing, so you'll have to use a plexi cover to seal the empty space around them.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! Wow...Just looked at the carclo site and there's no way I can figure out what all I need for my light. I've never messed with Led optics before. Hopefully someone will chime in with some recommendations for what XP-G optic setup they would use for my bar light. Would I go with the 10mm or use the 20mm and shave them down? Any mounting solutions?

mtbr member
    We all start somewhere.

While this link:

New Ledil XP-G optics

is mainly about another company's lenses, but it has competitors and enough info and beam shots to help you teach yourself more than you may want to know.

Hope it helps. Comments about lenses will be hard to understand without some background.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bncrshr77
    Thanks for the info! Wow...Just looked at the carclo site and there's no way I can figure out what all I need for my light. I've never messed with Led optics before. Hopefully someone will chime in with some recommendations for what XP-G optic setup they would use for my bar light. Would I go with the 10mm or use the 20mm and shave them down? Any mounting solutions?
    For under 20mm I think polymer optics are the way to go... see my builds here.

Realistically you should pick your optics first and the housing second. I've bumped my sizes up to 22mm to fit the nice Ledil CXP series. Still quite small.

mtbr member
    Think I'm getting somewhere with the optics situation now. I've found this low cost bike light http://capolight.wordpress.com/ and I think the optics he used will fit in the 3/4" tubing I'm using with very little shaving. If I'm right about the optics then I should be able to order the parts I need and get started!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bncrshr77
    I've found this low cost bike light http://capolight.wordpress.com/
    The optics used on the site you linked to are Ledil CXP. Those would have to go into 1"square tubing with .06 wall thickness. By the time you shaved them down enough to fit 3/4" tubing they would be ruined as far as beam quality and light efficiency is concerned. A Ledil Tina is a round optic that will fit 3/4" tube with .06" wall with very minor sanding of the optic holder.

Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    Realistically you should pick your optics first and the housing second.
    Z is right on here. I have built a light that my goal was to make an ultra small and light helmet light

Micro helmet light

While it came out nice and works fairly well, I wish it had a tighter beam. A tight beam with XPGs and 10mm optics is not happening yet. It is a bit disappointing to get all the work done and yet be left wanting something different.

mtbr member
    That light looks great to me! All mine will be used for is a bar mount so the beam you show is great. Turns out I have a cousin who can mill me a body like that so I will be making one something like your micro light! I will include my driver and switch in the body so it will be a bit bigger......but I like simple things when I'm 30hrs into a race!! Thanks man!!

Members who have read this thread: 0