Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Amoeba received

98K views 334 replies 102 participants last post by  scar 
#1 ·
Just received my Amoeba from Scar.

Shipping took a little while, this was no fault of Jays - just dealing with customs coming into Canada :rolleyes: FYI Jay is super cool to deal with, professional, and has provided tonnes of extra information. And this isn't even his regular job! :thumbsup:

So I go and unpack the box.

1st observation - Damn that battery is small. And light. seriously, the cables weigh more then anything else.

2nd observation - The secondary box packed inside did not contain the lighthead. That was the charger. When I eventually found the light head OMG that is small. That is so small.

3rd observation - Build quality. That is one very nice piece of "home-made" equipment. very slick. And it is light. very light.

4th observation - Do not turn on the light with it pointed at a co-workers face. He will go blind momentarily. Then he will grab the light, and shine it in your own eyes.

I am really looking forward to going home tonight, and mounting this up on my helmet. Will post complete feedback after a few night rides.

Thanks again Jay for what appears to be a really nice product.

Attachments

See less See more
#317 ·
neat, I didn't realise that chrome anodising was an option.

I've ridden with Reginas for a while (just about to get rid of the last one in my commuting light), I just find that the sharp transition from bright spot to dim spill messes with my ability to see multiple lines through rock gardens. I prefer a smoother beam, so I've been moving gradually to all optics, although they have their own drawbacks too :)

thanks for the heads up on the Judco switches. I'm going to get one of the wired ones to use as a remote - certainly beats making one yourself, especially for $2.50, and with the screw on cap it's completely waterproof!

#328 ·
If I could only use a word to describe Jay's work, the word would be "Amazing"

Jay has been patient with me and my numerous questions.

2x XP-G2 LFlex
GoPro mount for use with GoPro mountings

Its so small that the GoPro mount looks huge! :)

Thank you Jay!

Comparison with a 5mm LED

Does anybody know what type of go pro mount this is? Im referring to the part that attached to the body of the lamp. I have a couple of helmet lights that I want to convert over to go pro compatible mounts.

I had to remove the links because of my post count is not high enough.

#320 ·
WooHoo!!!

Right on, glad to see the light made it to Singapore :thumbsup:

I can't wait till you get out and light that thing up in the night time!!!!

Amoeba lights are now shipping with latest Cree XP-G2 LED's. Interbike just happened and all the major manufactures are releasing their 2013 line ups, not sure if anyone is using the XP-G2's yet. Why wait when you can get them now!

#321 ·
Isn't there going to be a good bit of heat involved using that 3S pack? If driven at the 1.5A max, wouldn't that be north of 9watts of heat to dissipate?

Unless the emitters are paralleled instead of series, and the lflex is running somewhere round 3A, and that's a 3P pack, then it all makes sense.

#325 ·
Scar,
thanks for the reply. You are so helpful. I have learned alot from your designs. It sounds like you put the lens cover on and run a bead of silicone on the outside. It looks like there may be a small 'lip' where the metal body sticks out a little past your lens cover. So it sounds like you put your meticulously cut lens cover on w/ the blue tape covering all but the edge of the lens cover, making for a nice thin layer of silicone on the outside of the lens cover holding it in place. Thanks again for the inspiration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.