Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Alibre 1st Attempt

1st attempt with Alibre PE edition.

50mm x 60mm. Need to add Cooling fins and a mount system. Not to sure @ the mount yet.

Bridgelux ES Star
    Ledil Bridget Reflector
    40mm Custom Boost Driver
    ~1100 lumens (18.1 Vf @ 0.5A)
    3s or 4s LiPo Pack

Dwight

Alibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-3.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-2.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    5mm shorter, smaller lens retainer, cooling fins.

Kinda ugly but functional...

Dwight

Alibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-4.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-5.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    2.5mm shorter, model PCB, mount (o-ring not modeled). I am buying an off the shelves part for the handle bar attachment.

50mm x 50mm
    O-Ring Sealed.

Alibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-8.jpg
    Alibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-6.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-7.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Alibre 1st Attempt

That's pretty awesome, really nice output, how long do you think it will post at max lumen output?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    That looks smart!
    Did you draw the switch yourself on SW or have you found the files online?
    I find it takes longer to draw all the accessories that bolt onto the housing than the housing itself!
    Have you tried any thermal modeling of the housing yet? My last light was made completely from the results from Flow Sim, got it within 6 degrees C of the real deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The switch is an APEM. They have STEP models. 30 seconds to import. No thermal modeling. I did some looking but I haven't found a program that wasn't $$$. I typical aim for >> 1*in^2 / watt. ~9 watts = 9 sq inches. This design has 22*in^2 (roughly speaking). A bit heavy but it should have no issues achieving 9 watts @ 90F Air Temp with a LED temp < 50C. I am also designing a feed forward PID controller. I am adding a 2nd NTC sensor so I can determine DELTA T. Attached PIC shows back side of PCB. T1 (center) & T2 (outside edge). I will couple the NTC to the back of the housing with some thermal putty. Attempting to tune a PID loop on a MTB light was frustrating. Adding heat flux into the equation will resolve this.

Alibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-pcb.jpg

mtbr member

ooh i like!

I`m very impressed with the details
    beautiful creation,... but,
    the cable gland is so ugly it spoils!!!
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    There are smaller cable glands that will work. Probably M8 would be fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Interesting but why not a Cree MKR?
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The M12 isnt soo bad... the model is worst case length plus the light is only 50mm long. Its going to look 'Big'

The Cree MKR has a Vf ~11. My driver is a step-up design (aka boost). A 3 Cell Lipo has a usable range of 8 - 12V. I could use a 2 cell lipo (2S1P,2Sp2,...) but my charger nor Boost driver are designed to operate below 7v.... A 2 Cell Lipo has a operating range of 8.4 - 5 V. The Bridgelux ES Star is almost as efficient plus has an 18 Vf. I can use either a 4 cell or 3 cell pack without issue.
    Also, I like the Bridget Reflector. Efficient and 3 different choices for angle.
    Cleaned up the design. Proper O-ring groves (1/16) and drill holes.

Dwight
    Alibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-9.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-11.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-12.jpg
    Last edited by Happy Rabbit; 04-03-2013 at 06:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What is the Bridgelux exact part number? In the datasheet I didn't find 1100 lumen stars. Only big arrays.
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zemike View Post
    What is the Bridgelux exact part number? In the datasheet I didn't find 1100 lumen stars. Only big arrays.

BXRA-56C0700-A-00

BXRA-56C0700-A-00 Bridgelux | 976-1058-ND | DigiKey

Ledil Bridget Reflector

C10919_BRIDGET-M Ledil | 711-1079-ND | DigiKey

I ignored this part the 1st time I looked at the data sheet. The test current is 350ma not 500ma( the max rated current ). These parts typical have 120 lumen/watt efficiency. Not the best LEDs out there, but you only need to use 1 to achieve decent output. 18.8 Vf x 0.5 amps -> 9.4 watts. The Vf @ 0.5 amps -> 18.8. (based on 25C)

Dwight
    Last edited by Happy Rabbit; 04-04-2013 at 04:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    An XM-L2 and a buck driver like b3flex would make your light much more efficient and smaller. There is also many more choices regarding beam shape with XM-L2 plus the higher efficiency of the led. You won't get desired beam shape with that Bridgelux and only 3 different reflectors.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Beautiful CAD detailing there, but it seems pretty big and heavy for a 9W light IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yep, she was a bit heavy and she fought me over it...but I won

weighs ~162 grams with body, lens retainer, back cover, lens, led, reflector, pcb, gland, and switch. Does not include bolts or wiring or handle bar adapter.

The design is a bit overkill. I needed to practice using Alibre. I like it. It took a couple days for the design process to flow with me. Hours of endless entertainment

Updated pics of lighter design
    Alibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-14.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-13.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-15.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A step in the right direction! My last dual XML helmet light running at 16W weighs 66 grams including mount and remote switch. That was my 6th different design though and I have learned a lot along the way. Most walls can be 1mm thick. The wall separating the LEDs from the driver is never more than 4mm thick. Recently I have gone with designs that have the heatsink fins directly behind the LEDs with only a 1.5 mm wall. I started out using #6 size screws (close to M3.5 in size) and now am down to #2 (close to M2 in size). I used to use .062" cross section O-rings but have swiched to .5mm and .75mm section rings.

I usually try to stay around 1 sq. in. per Watt. Works fine as long as you have a moderate airflow. Slow climbs or stopped and I use medium level with no problems.

Are you going to machine this yourself? CNC?
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 04-04-2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Added content

mtbr member
    Beautiful drawings, do you have any reservations about Alibre?

Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Vancbiker. Round 2 for weight reduction... Plus it doesn;t look like a sunflower anymore.

Lens Retainer- 5grams
    Body - 80 grams
    Rear Lid - 15 grams
    Holder - 5 grams
    ~ 105grams

Exposed Surface Area - 24.5 in^2
    Exposed Surface Area w/ rear lid - 27.7 in^2

hmmm... Al Gore Approved, Global Warming Ready.

I am going to use a more powerful ES STAR.

BXRA-56C1000-A-00 Bridgelux | 976-1057-ND | DigiKey

28.1 Vf, 0.5A, 1600 lumens, 13.9 watts.

I will have someone machine it. I need to find someone with a Turn Center with live tooling.

Walt Dizzy,

You will need the pro version. The PE version doesn't support import / export of step files. I would look @ a yearly subscription for the pro version($129). Retail for the pro version is $1000 plus a yearly fee to receive upgrades. You can always pick up the PE edition if you have a friend with a pro or export version. They can provide the conversion support. You will need an angry management class after the 1st week.. by the 2nd week you will be start producing stuff Like I am posting Some think Solid Works is best but at $4000 per copy.. Alibre is good enough. Alibre isn't perfect nor always elegant but it gets the job done.

Dwight

Alibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-16.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-17.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-18.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-19.jpg
    Last edited by Happy Rabbit; 04-05-2013 at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Body ~72 grams. Surface Area 23in^2. I like this design the best.
    This design will have good heat transfer in all conditions. I have run out of places to remove metal. More Riding, Less Alibre.

Dwight

Alibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-20.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-21.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-22.jpg

mtbr member
    That's looking dam good...
    Just need to add a tripple xml version with a cute 3 optic, and you'll have decent bar light..

The problem with these 3d design packages, is that you get carried away with the software capabilities.
    And then you realise you still only have a manual mill, if your like me of course..

Now I'm looking at cnc conversion!

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger View Post
    Now I'm looking at cnc conversion!
    Do it Jay. The conversions of the smaller mill are pretty easy and cheap, plus there is an abundance in info on the net as you would have already seen. I am looking at cnc'ing my ZX45 and making a 4th axis for it but need time to make the parts.

Happy rabbit, sweet looking design. Hope you have access to a cnc to produse it

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the kind words. I will show the design to the programer this week. I will keep you updated. Its a tiny bit over the top...

Dwight

Alibre 1st Attempt-mtb-lite-23.jpg

Rep Power Infinity +2
    No such thing as over the top in bike lights.

I always like watching the progression from the initial design to the finished product. Lots of little tweaks and changes along the way to get to the finalised design then seeing it come to like from a lump of alloy.

Very rewarding

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    75 grams as shown. The clamp is real similar to the one found on my Niner 45mm x 40mm 17 sq inches surface area

Dwight
    Alibre 1st Attempt-mtb-mini-2.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-mini-3.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-mini-4.jpg
    Last edited by Happy Rabbit; 04-20-2013 at 12:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    APEM 12mm switch + M8 Gland.

Alibre 1st Attempt-mtb-mini-5.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-mini-6.jpgAlibre 1st Attempt-mtb-mini-7.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast