Ologist

Alias HID Offroad???

I have been checking out some HIDs and I am wondering if anyone has used Planet Bike's Alias HID off road yet? How did it go?

mtbr member
    Yes, I have. It woked fine for the few times I have off roaded with it. It was mounted on a full suspention bike.

The PB Alias HID is my daily winter commuting light. I use it on a ridgid framed MTB riding over hardpacked icy rutted streets with out any problems. I do notice the color will shift (flicker) from time to time, however thats about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    After returning a flawed Topeak HID to the shop, I took an Alias HID to test. Although I used it only 5 ot 6 times, I was very pleased overall. I wrote a longer review of it at the review session of MTBR.

It comes with a nice carrying bag, an unexpected touch of class in this price range. Itīs a no-wires, self-contained unit with battery and lamp in one (rather bulky IMHO) piece, but once in the dark you wonīt notice itīs there. The lighthead has a tough and nicely finished alu casing.

The light is the usual 10W Solarc HID with a 7W econo-low-beam. Very good for most situations. The beam is also the usual Solarc reflector, meaning itīs not as wide as an ARC from L&M butwide enough with enough throw to allow for fast speed in open dirt roads.

If you fancy the long kind of night exploitations you better look for a bigger capacity unit since this Alias runs for 3hrs max. (running mostly on low with occasional high). I never went out of light but then I never pushed it beyond its expected limit of 2:30, 3:00hrs.

I didnīt expect much of the Alias but it kinda grew on me. Itīs nothing super-special but it performed very well, without any problems during my short test and I found it to be reliable as an HID lightwset. And the price is good compared to other (sometimes not so nice) HIDs too.

Ologist
    Thanks for the feedback. I am impressed with the battery life given that there is no external. The other HIDs like the Alias Li-ion is still getting the same run time, but I wonder how they are going to last over the years. Looks like it will be a good light for the bars.

mtbr member
    The biggest strength I find in the Alias is how conveinent it is to mount and dismount. I must lock my bike outside in a caged compound, as such I must be able to remove and install my lights very qucikly and with ease, especially during the winter when it's -35C outside.

I have 2 batteries for my Alias system, an even when it goes to Red (low battery) It still provides me about 15 to 20 mins of full power. I would not be with out this light, even though I also have a full XLS Extreme Dinotte 600L system with 140L tailight. My daily weapon of choice is the PB HID Alias and a PB SuperFlash... It's just that easy to use.