mtbr member

Aftermarket battery for Turbocat S32?

I'm no expert in the field of batteries or lights… I just want them bright & for my battery to give me a solid 3-4 hours before fading. Do any of you experts have any ideas without the need to modify the bulbs, etc… I was looking into a NiMh14.4v, 5000 mAh bottle battery from batteryspace, but I'm reading a lot of nasty things about their gear. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cozmomo
    I'm no expert in the field of batteries or lights… I just want them bright & for my battery to give me a solid 3-4 hours before fading. Do any of you experts have any ideas without the need to modify the bulbs, etc… I was looking into a NiMh14.4v, 5000 mAh bottle battery from batteryspace, but I'm reading a lot of nasty things about their gear. Any thoughts?
    My thoughts.....Stay with the 13.2 volt battery your system was designed for. Your bulbs are probably already over-volted using the standard battery. The 14.4 volt would make your lights brighter but you will use more bulbs and use them faster.

...thought number 2.....for the cost of the new battery/charger you could buy the MagicShine led light. Advantages....a nice bright light ( at least as bright as what you have now ), LED's last a very long time. The Magic Shine ( with it's 4 cell Li-ion battery ) should give you 3-3.5hrs run time on high. The battery will weigh a third of what that 2lb monster you are now using does.

thought number three....Spend another $20 and get the MagicShine. If you don't like it or want more output sell it to one of your Buds. So far I've not heard of anyone who has owned a halogen light who now owns a MS that doesn't just love the MS.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I've never actually heard of the magicshine lights until earlier today. I'm gonna give them a good look & see if I can try a pair out. For the price, they sound unbeatable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cozmomo
    Thanks. I've never actually heard of the magicshine lights until earlier today. I'm gonna give them a good look & see if I can try a pair out. For the price, they sound unbeatable.
    Many people on forum here buy the MagicShine from one of the two North American dealers namely Geoman > http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...roducts_id=180
    Geoman has quite a following on MTBR and dialogs from time to time on forum. Nobody has yet to diss Geoman, undoubtedly a class act. Geoman services and sells the accessories as well as the complete light sets. You can buy from D/X for a little less ( China ) but you won't get the Geoman quick service/ guarantee. If you order from D/X it will take 4 weeks to reach you but shipping is free. You will pay a shipping charge with Geoman but you should have the light within days. There is another N.A dealer somewhere in the SW but the name escapes me at the moment.

Anyway, take a look at the website and some of the other threads on forum that discuss the MS. The link I gave you looks like the cheapest setup ( no helmet mount included with this one ). Lots of people on forum using dual MS's ( bar and helmet ) Take your time, read what others have to say. FWIW, I don't own a MS ( I have too many lights already ) but If I had a close friend who needed a light for night riding and had only < $100 , I would be the first one to suggest a MS. I do own a couple P-7 torches that use the same LED as the MagicShine so I know the P-7 LED makes a nifty bike light. ( wide beam with lots of throw )

mtbr member
    Thanks again Cat-mand-do. I might just buy a set of MS to have 2 sets. I'm acutally looking at the MS 900 & 1400 setup together... I like to have a blinding amount of light! Also, I think I'll replace my battery for the turbocats too... those are some killer lights despite the weight of the battery & the fact that they are old school. God knows I could lose 12-15 pounds, so I'm not gonna complain about battery weight. I actually found a MS dealer here in my hometown, so he's gonna let me try the MS next to my turbos just for comparison sake. I just can't wait to go out and poach some more trails at night. It's been way too long.

One Gear
    There won't be much to compare. My Turbocats are in a box and the batteries are in the recycling. Go out and rock the MS.

Let there be sun at night.