I ride a Swarf

Adding some red.....to an LED light :)

I was geeking out on LED data sheets as I do quite often. I have a new torch also (a big hid one ) and got into a short chat about colour temps on candlepower forums). The HID is a warmer colour than the seouls.

Looking at the colour plot in the data sheet show that White LEDs lack red...they are predominatly blue/yellow/green.

So I asked the question on CPF if a RED LED would help colour recognition...and answr seemed to be yes. The chap that answerd is making a torch with the same idea.

You may be thinking that red on the front of a bike is a bad idea.....this is for offroad only....I don't want to get run over hehe.

So I have ordered some Lux 3 reds to try. First I will test the llight untouched and rig up a reflector and red separately to see if colours are easier to see. If they are....I might try the cateye triple with 2 whites and a red...I say might.

If it seems to help...I am thinking that the red needs to be switchable independent of the whites so taht it can be used on road......and I might want 3 whites still....so I might actyually go the whole hog and actually build a DIY light instead of modding like I have so far.

If the extra red doesn't make things easier.....just a bit nicer it might not be worth worrying about....but it may take the strain off your eyes with better colour, and this may be as important as loads of lumens.

What do ya think?

I'll post up what I think when I've had a play.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    I had a little LED flashlight that had a red LED in the middle of a ring of whites. The red did exactly what you say, warmed up the color (almost pinkish) rather than a blue-white.

I can see how having a triple setup with a red in between two whites would be interesting. Its definitely a good idea to have it switched independently of the whites though.

mtbr member
    Just cleaning up double posts...
    Last edited by dnlwthrn; 05-17-2007 at 07:41 AM.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn
    I had a little LED flashlight that had a red LED in the middle of a ring of whites. The red did exactly what you say, warmed up the color (almost pinkish) rather than a blue-white.

I can see how having a triple setup with a red in between two whites would be interesting. Its definitely a good idea to have it switched independently of the whites though.
    Got a couple of piccies

[edit]Both were taking wth the sunny day light white balance setting...not auto[/edit]

Both are with 3 P4s at 0.7Amp, two narrow khatods with frosting in front and 1 wide khatod with out frosting. The Red lux 3 was in the same wide kahtod type reflector running at 0.3Amps

Without Red

With Red

Tickled pink as it were hehe

I ride a Swarf
    are my piccies working for you...or has it died?

They arent working for me now.

Stu

mtbr member
    They were viewable from the links. That's kind of the same effect I saw in my little flashlight test.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn
    They were viewable from the links. That's kind of the same effect I saw in my little flashlight test.
    cheers for checking.

I am really happy with the result if this test.
    I didn't point out my observations on purpose as I hoped others would notice for themselves. I am so happy with the result I could't hold on any longer lol.

the door n the background looks offwhite, which it is.

the lighter fuel can looks yellow and the red redder. again what it is.

the red details on the ateam van pop up.

the wood effect on the spesh book jump out. the orange details on the kawasaki come up.

BA doesn't look grey and pastey....his gold is hihjlighted. the greens and browns contrast better. although these pics don't show it as well due to reflections.

I need to try and hobble out side with it for actual typical scenery. if it makes the scene look as good as the test subjects it should help night riding a lot. especially when fatigued at 3am in a race hehe.

mtbr member
    Interesting, how many reds do you think you would need to get the balance you are looking for? Also how did the test affect the perceived Lumen output. I know this is totaly your opinion, but I respect your opinions

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by zen bicycle
    Interesting, how many reds do you think you would need to get the balance you are looking for? Also how did the test affect the perceived Lumen output. I know this is totaly your opinion, but I respect your opinions
    hey zen.

just using the test scene I was surprised how little red was required. I estimate the 1 lux III I have could be used with 4 seouls at full power. I was onlt tickling the red at 0.3A with the 3 seouls at 0.7A to get what I thought looked good and used for the piccies. the pics show pretty much what I saw with my own eyes.

perceived lumens were improved. anything with red in it popped right up and really contrasted better against greens and blues. especilly anything in the peripheral of the beam.

it gave a mucher fairer view of what it looked lke in natural light. details that weren't so noticable were easily seen after.

I need to test a typical offroad scene still.

but so far it looks like the improvement in colour is worth the small amount of watts added for the red looks well worth it. I would say the red led is more use than another white.

hopefully efficient white leds will be made with red components too.

if greens were more efficient I might build an rgb light hehe...it could have a disco on the trail mode too hehe.

edit I was adding about 0.66W of red for 7.5W of white

Stu
    Last edited by Stuart B; 05-18-2007 at 10:58 AM.