Beer Please! SuperModerator

Add a heatsink to a light?

in my small collection of lights I have 2 SolarStorm double LED units that have very small cooling fins and get sorta warm in comparison to the triple LED units I have from GuGou(spelling?).

I grabbed a few old Computer processor heatsinks from old supply at work and am thinking about cutting one down to fit on the SolarStorm.

I figured I would sand off the paint on the top of the light and "glue" it down right on top since it is flat. What would you guys suggest as an adhesive? JBweld? Actual glue?

Besides making the unit cooler to the touch(my 19 month old son loves to touch the lights when he is mounted in his handlebar seat on our evening beach cruiser rides) will having better cooling do anything else for the light? I am mostly concerned with making it cooler to the touch so as to not harm my son.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    There is thermal epoxy. I think arctic alumina is popular, but im sure there is other similar brands.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's a good idea to add cooling to the small lights like the SSX2 and Duo/Yinding. Even though most of them have some sort of thermal stepdown mode, that is really a safety feature. Not something that you want happening regularly.

Google Arctic Silver thermal epoxy for a good product to attach your CPU heatsink with.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    There is thermal epoxy. I think arctic alumina is popular, but im sure there is other similar brands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Google Arctic Silver thermal epoxy for a good product to attach your CPU heatsink with.
    I am familiar with Silver thermal paste for attaching heat sinks to processors in Computers, I was not aware they made an epoxy version - I am guessing the epoxy will be strong enough to keep it in place with all the bouncing and jostling that happens on the trail?

MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I am familiar with Silver thermal paste for attaching heat sinks to processors in Computers, I was not aware they made an epoxy version - I am guessing the epoxy will be strong enough to keep it in place with all the bouncing and jostling that happens on the trail?
    I've never used it to attach a heatsink, but do use it to glue the LED stars into my housings. It holds those down pretty darn good. Removal requires heating the assembly quite a bit unless you have a good place to pry it apart.

As with any adhesive system, cleanliness of the surfaces to be bonded is critical. On metal surfaces, I use acetone or MEK.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    I've never used it to attach a heatsink, but do use it to glue the LED stars into my housings. It holds those down pretty darn good. Removal requires heating the assembly quite a bit unless you have a good place to pry it apart.

As with any adhesive system, cleanliness of the surfaces to be bonded is critical. On metal surfaces, I use acetone or MEK.
    Thanks! I will check it out.

MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules

MTBR Forum Posting Rules
    e-bike sub-forum rules