mtbr member
    Apr 2008

AA powered USB charger?

Hi guys,

Kind of OT but I thought you all would know the answer. I am doing a multi day trip and want the ability to charge my Garmin 800 each day-no power available. I am looking for a AA powered battery charger to charge the Garmin via USB. Any ideas?

Thanks.

J-No

mtbr member
    I used to have a little 2 AA thing that could be charged by USB and then charge, via a variety of adapters, phones and the like. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called and I don't believe I ever used it, but I'd imagine you'd be able to find one somewhere.

If not, there are also a bunch of li-ion powered recharging boxes on eBay/ Amazon etc. I'd imagine one of those charged up before your trip would probably last you to the end.

mtbr member
    I've used this from Coleman to charge my garmin and iphone on longer trips. Works on AAA or the CPX rechargeable battery pack.

http://www.campmor.com/coleman-cpx-4-5-portable-electronics-charger.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=84088&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

mtbr member
    if in Austraila, jaycar has a great 4AA holder with USB output, I make them for my touring guys...I add a extra plug wired directly to the batterys, a fullwave bridge, then to the dynamo hub...so now your hub charged your rechargable AA's that in turn charges your garmin... hope this helps...

so there kit is kLite dynamo light, SP hub, GPS, spot tracker and iphone...with the hub, you can run everything, and don't need to pass a servo that sells AA's...you hub and you provide all the power you need...

K

mtbr member
    I found one on eBay that uses 18650 batteries, and wired it up to to take my 3.7v battery packs too.

mtbr member
    IF you can solder and have a little time check out the Minty Boost kit from Adafruit. It only takes an hor or or two to put together, and can be used with solar panels as well... I built one that had a solar panel and a cell phone battery for storage. You just flip a switch to transfer powere from the batt. To your device.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I got from Radio Shack / The Source a four AA battery holder with switch and soldered a USB to it so I can recharge my ipod, blackberry and other small electronics.

Here is a picture.

It comes in handy when needed and if your re-chargeable run out of juice you can always use regular alkaline AA batteries in an emergency.

The holder cost about $5. You can check it out here

mtbr member
    I think I'd rather spend a bit more and get something that supplies the correct voltage, given how much the things it's charging would cost to replace if they were damaged by excess charging voltage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Most chargers, charge at 5v. With four batteries at 1.2V = 4.8V so there should be no worries of frying your device. I've used this for the last two yrs working out on the field / biking with no issues.

But then again make and use at your own risk.

mtbr member
    1.2V is the nominal voltage for NiCd/NiMh - fresh off the charger they're more like 1.4-1.5V. Same with alkalines - nominal 1.5V, fresh are ~1.6V. Not exactly the same, but I've seen people fry laptop motherboards using adapters that are only a volt or 2 higher than specified. Didn't happen immediately either, took a couple of months usually.

mtbr member
    This *is* the DIY forum - Mintyboost!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've had good luck with a 12v car usb adapter. Just wired it with an extra lead and it hooks up, and works with, 3s and 2s lipos and 7.4v NiMh batteries. Cheap and easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktronik View Post
    if in Austraila, jaycar has a great 4AA holder with USB output, I make them for my touring guys...
    Battery Bank 4 x AA USB A SKT with Switch Black - Jaycar Electronics

These work pretty well. I had to upgrade to a Geomadic to charge my edge 500 when riding because the 500 wont charge while in use, needs a special adapter Geomadic supplies.
    I get a couple of full charges for the Edge 500 from 4AA.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I've got something that looks exactly like DX.com sku 40831... it does the job. The bad thing about it is that it's got a considerable parasitic drain, so I've had to stick a bit of plastic between the contacts when it's not in use.
    The study du jour: can one's reputation be artificially inflated by simply putting a request for rep in one's sig?

Light freak

Something new....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You can get higher capacity if you do not use AA but here you go.

I cannot post links but...

Tekkeon MP1580 TEKCHARGE Mobile Power Pack and Battery Charger

This would be pretty cool, solar.

ReVIVE Solar ReStore XL 4000mAh External Battery Pack with Universal USB Charging Port and High-Efficiency Solar Panel

mtbr member
    OK DIYers...this is what I did...

the jaycar one was good, but unregulated...and no apple compat...

so...get a 4xAA holder, the prewired one as they dont solder well being plastic...

get this USB regulator

5v USB reg

and if you need apple happy...

USB Charging Adapter for iPad/iPad 2/iPhone - White - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

it will talk apple

OR make a simple voltage divider on the data pics of 2.0v and 2.0v (500mA) as seen below

I charge my 4x AA direct, from my dynamo hub via a fullwave bridge...then output USB on the go...

more info

hope this helps

Ktronik

Light freak
    Saw this on CNN last night being used to charge phones in NYC after Hurricane Sandy -

BioLite CampStove - BioLite Stove