mtbr member
    Dec 2006

mtbr member

P7...I think I love you.

Dupicate post...sorry
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 03-05-2008 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member

P7...I love You

Good-Googa-Mooga !! Ya know, life is strange sometimes. Today when I was driving down the road I was musing on the thought of how cool it would be when someone finally creates a single LED able to put out > 600lm. Lo and behold, I get home, go on-line...and there it is! As soon as I saw this I got so excited I had to jump up to take a leak! I quickly jumped around the on-line light forums and noticed others with more tech knowledge than I are talking about this LED. One of the things I picked up was that if you run one of these at the level of the current P4, it will have 4x the run time. (?) I don't know if that's true but I like the idea. Real life Lumen output will probably be somewhere around 500-600lm, at least thats what I'm reading. Wow, to get 700lm you would have to draw almost 3amps. I guess if you can find a way to deal with the heat it might be possible. I can't wait to see what the DIY'ers come up with when they start using these babies. With the technology moving this fast it's only a matter of a couple years before we start seeing self-contained light systems (light & battery ) the size of current small LED flashlights that will rival the current crop of multi-LED High-lumen wonder lights. With Li-ion batteries improving with the advancement of Nano-technology it will probably be possible to build an incredibly small yet bright light that will run on batteries the size of current CR-123A's and have run times over 4-5hrs. Geez, I'm breaking out in a cold sweat just thinking about it!
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 03-05-2008 at 12:24 PM.

bi-winning
    The picture shows that they are quite a bit larger than the P4.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I don't see anything particularly interesting about these 10 watt single-die LEDs, if you calculate with the hypothetical 900 lumen rating at 10 watts, you get about 90 lumens per watt, which is not bad, but not outstanding either. Without optics available currently I cannot see any advantages over the "old" single LEDs.
    Or maybe I've missed something...

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    I don't see anything particularly interesting about these 10 watt single-die LEDs, if you calculate with the hypothetical 900 lumen rating at 10 watts, you get about 90 lumens per watt, which is not bad, but not outstanding either. Without optics available currently I cannot see any advantages over the "old" single LEDs.
    edit lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    The picture shows that they are quite a bit larger than the P4.

Yes, It might make finding an optic that works with it a chore. However I did read somewhere that Surefire was suppose to be cooperating with SSC in it's production. That might mean that an optic is sitting there waiting. Other than that I'm not sure what advantages this diode will have over set-ups with multi-LED's. Still, I can't wait to see someone build something using one of these...Scar, you out there.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 03-05-2008 at 12:52 PM.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Yes, It might make finding an optic that works with it a chore. However I did read somewhere that Surefire was suppose to be cooperating with SSC in it's production. That might mean that an optic is sitting there waiting. Other than that I'm not sure what advantages this diode will have over set-ups with multi-LED's. Still, I can't wait to see someone build something using one of these...Scar, you out there.
    I emailed Dinotte the other day, asking if they had any new products around the corner using new technology that would be worth holding out for, and this was their reply:

Quote Originally Posted by sales@dinooelighting.com
    Led progress has recently been stepped up and most future areas of progress will go into more construction and commercial applications. Even the newest innovations are far less lumens per watt, but they are made for very high power.

What you buy today for leds will be the best for a while.

I would go with the 600L or 600-200 combination. It just cannot be beat
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Singletrack Daydreamer
    I have two of the triple Rebel LEDs that put out 540 lumens at 700ma (@10.8v/300lm@350ma) that I finally found a proper lens for from DX (it's sold as a 33mm, but is actually a hair over 36mm). I've purchased a 12" section of 1 3/8" ID aluminum tube, several 3/8" thick copper backing plates, and some round RC car motor heatsinks to aid with cooling. The goal is simple: I want a single round Dinotte-style light that puts out the light of three LEDs without going to a complex lens (3 separate LED) unless I must. Hopefully it'll pan out, but I'm a ways off from finishing it anytime soon. Parts are in hand, but I haven't had time to tinker in the shop in weeks and the next month doesn't look much better. I'll post when I finish, but don't hold your breath...
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radirpok
    Is it actually getting 90lm/w at 10w? These are good numbers.
    You would need 5 R2s to achieve this output and efficacy (remember the 100lm/w is only at 350mA...at 1A an R2 only gets 70lm/w).
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I emailed Dinotte the other day, asking if they had any new products around the corner using new technology that would be worth holding out for, and this was their reply:
    Originally Posted by sales@dinooelighting.com
    Led progress has recently been stepped up and most future areas of progress will go into more construction and commercial applications. Even the newest innovations are far less lumens per watt, but they are made for very high power.

What you buy today for leds will be the best for a while.

I would go with the 600L or 600-200 combination. It just cannot be beat.
    I think if Dinotte has planned any changes I really doubt if they are going to show their hand at this stage of the game. I have no doubt that they will offer newer systems or upgrades for their current ones. I just think that they're not going to tell anyone about it till they're good and ready...least their competition gain an advantage. I will say this...I'll be one of the ones standing in line to have my 200L upgraded to a 400L if they start using the P7. Hopefully by that time they will offer more of a choice of optics too.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by znogmit
    Is it actually getting 90lm/w at 10w? These are good numbers.
    You would need 5 R2s to achieve this output and efficacy (remember the 100lm/w is only at 350mA...at 1A an R2 only gets 70lm/w).
    Very good point.
    Last edited by rockymtnway; 03-06-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: left out quote

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnway
    I have two of the triple Rebel LEDs that put out 540 lumens at 700ma (@10.8v/300lm@350ma) that I finally found a proper lens for from DX (it's sold as a 33mm, but is actually a hair over 36mm). I've purchased a 12" section of 1 3/8" ID aluminum tube, several 3/8" thick copper backing plates, and some round RC car motor heatsinks to aid with cooling. The goal is simple: I want a single round Dinotte-style light that puts out the light of three LEDs without going to a complex lens (3 separate LED) unless I must. Hopefully it'll pan out, but I'm a ways off from finishing it anytime soon. Parts are in hand, but I haven't had time to tinker in the shop in weeks and the next month doesn't look much better. I'll post when I finish, but don't hold your breath...
    can you give us a link to the len?

Singletrack Daydreamer
    33mm DX lens The reason I didn't post it in my original post is that I had a tickle in the back of my mind it might have been Sandwich Shoppe, but I just looked at my order history and this is the one. Doesn't quite fit perfect in an MR-11 housing, but with a little bit of careful sanding on the lip, it should work. As for the lens end, only time will tell. I just ordered a couple of the P7s myself just to take a look. Hopefully they'll work perfectly with this lens, as the Rebels I have are probably part of the recalled lot (purchased in October, but back ordered until December, so the timing isn't good). If I'm going to go to the trouble of a new build, I'd rather have it hold together for a while.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnway
    Very good point.
    OK, now I see its typically 700lm, max 900, so not so impressive.
    Im not sure that the 4 LEDs will have similar brightness. Would suck to have a LED where two were at 600 and two at 900.
    DIY LED Bike Lights:
    A few Dynamo builds and some Small battery lights

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    What did you think Dinotte would say, "We're on the verge of marketing a new light system that's half the size of the 600l and twice the output, and about the same price. So, ummm, buy that 600l you've been on the fence over, please, for god' sake, we have 5000 of them and parts on hand for 5000 more and we're about to take a bath with me spilling the beans here....."
    Their "competition" gets their LED's the same place Dinotte and everyone else does, I doubt they are particularly worried about corporate espionage or keeping up with the Jones. They do however need to impress each customer that what they are looking at to buy TODAY is in fact the state of the art TODAY.
    All bikes weigh 50 lbs. a 50lb. bike doesn't need a lock. a 40lb bike needs a 10lb. lock. a 30 lb. bike needs a 20lb. lock.