mtbr member
    Mar 2007

85 lumens with Rayovac Luxeon K2 Headlamp $16

Found a great headlight for my helmet. Rayovac advertises 85 lumens for thier Luxeon K2 headlight Disassembled the straps and used them to mount the light to my helmet. Only $16 at Costco in Tempe, AZ

Has anyone else tried this light?

http://www.rayovacindustrial.com/pro...igh_beam.shtml

Datasheet: http://www.rayovacindustrial.com/ass...LUX3AAHDLT.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by danong; 06-30-2007 at 04:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeahhh! It only took me 24 hours to signup and gain access so I could respond. WTF mtbr!? That's rediculous!

The point I wanted to make is this. I bought this same light just before christmas at cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0044990517635a.shtml

I use it for night road riding. It has obsoleted my Nightrider Ultra Fazer Max. It's extremel bright and seems to last forever. But interestingly enough it's brightness is only listed at 60 lumens on Cabelas site. I was at a Menard's killing some time while waiting for the stocker to bring up a pickup item when I spotted Rayovac's version and noticed it stated 85 lumens.

http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/lux3aahdlt-b.shtml

This is a significant increase in brightness. I thought it might be a typo so I googled it when i got the chance. It's not. Apparently Rayovac updraded the LED.

The old light seemed to last forever... so the only question is how long does the new brighter version last?

I'll probably buy another at some point, but for now I'm happy with my 60 lumen version.

mtbr member
    Nice find.

it's....
    That's the same light I posted about.
    Cheap K2 headlight!
    It's not enough to use for night trail riding by itself, tho.

BBW
    mtbr member
    I bought one that says something like rayovac extreme and it was labeled 85 lumens... I bought it for the GF so she have something around. Its OK for the price and its supossed to last forever with 2 AA batteries BUT
    1- the beam is very narow
    2- No way that this is 85 lumens, it's like 45 (I have a KL7 surefire commander-100lumens- and a Scorpion stremlight LED-45 lumens-)

I would say that the amount of light is like the scorpion which is very good considering that it cost half, last way more and it doesn't use litium batteries

So, good like for the money

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If it is only using 2 batteries it is not the 85 lumen head light that danong is referring to. The K2 uses 3 AA batteries. I would agree that it is not enough for trail riding except in an emergency but is fine for commuting. I like the red light on the battery holder. This is a great light for night XC skiing.

BBW
    mtbr member
    What I'm saying is that the lumen rating is inacurate. This is the one I bought rates 80 lumens it's like 45 more likely
    http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/selux2aa3w-b.shtml

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

K2 vs. "Sportsman Xtreme™ 3W LED Flashlight"

Don't confuse the the 3 watt rayvoac "Sportsman Xtreme™ 3W LED Flashlight" with the K2 headlamp. I would not recommend that flashlight. I have one I bought at cabellas. They may have upgraded the bulb in them since then, but even with the best AA batteries mine lasted for little more then an hour, and then it simply shuts completely off. It does not slowly dim. This makes it extremely unpractical.

The k2 headlamp on the other hand uses three AA batteries. Mine is only the 60 lumen version and lasts forever... 10+ hours on high beam diming only very slowly. I have not tried the newer k2 headlamp which seems to be 85 lumens, but I would suspect it has good lifespan also.

Also, while I cannot vouch for any other version, my 60 lumen k2 headlamp does seem to have a relatively accurate lumen rating. I'll be sure to let you know if/when I get the 85 lumen on how it compares.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    FYI, Have an update. I purchased a Rayovac K2 to go with my Cabelas' K2.

I can confirm the Rayovac one is noticeably brighter. It's really a draw though on which one is better. On high the Rayovac only lasts maybe 1.5 hours while the Cabelas K2 lasts 6-8. Of course the Rayovac is almost as bright on medium as the Cabelas is on high.

This is about what I expected. Basically the Rayovac K2 is being overdriven on high wasting energy. It does get noticeably warmer.

All in all, I think I may prefer the Rayovac more because most of the time I just need it for a couple hours, but if not I can always use it on medium for 6-8 hours and flip on the high beam only when I need it.

I'm going to do a nice review/ write up more for my own sake then anything else. I'll post a link here when I get a chance.