mtbr member
    Mar 2007

60CSx following a track question

I just bought a Garmin 60CSx and am feeling a bit frustrated here... All I want to do right now is load in a tracklog that I downloaded from the web, and be able to follow it with the GPS on my bike. Seems simple enough, but I cannot figure it out! The manual that came with the unit is not helping, to say the least...

I've gotten to where I can upload the track to the GPS by renaming it to 'ACTIVE LOG' before doing the transfer (so it won't truncate it), but then what? I don't want to trackback, I want to follow it from start to finish (or any intermediate point A to point B), and I'd like the GPS to point me the way, not just show the map. This can be done, right?

mtbr member
    you need to create a ROUTE , then follow the ROUTE on your garmin

Yeah, if you want the GPS to actually follow the track, you need to turn it into a route or create a route that follows said track. NG Topo! will automatically convert a track into a route to transfer it to your GPS (in fact, there's really no other way to do it on that program). You lose a bit of the detail on it, but it gives you some functionality that you just don't get with a basic track. The bike GPSes (Edge) have a new file format called a course that gives you the functionality you are asking for, but the 60's don't support it (yet).

I am personally just fine with viewing the track on the map and orienting myself to it. I really don't use routes on my GPS for the most part unless I'm driving on roads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ok, thanks. I played with routes a bit tonight, and made an extremely simplified version on topofusion. It looks like I can use both the route for guidance, and still see the original (and very detailed) tracklog as a map at the same time. Hard to tell sitting here at my desk though, I'll know more tomorrow when I hit the trail with it. I'll be on a familiar trail for now, so it's just for educational purposes, no real navigation needed...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    OK, I hit a new trail today and it worked awesome! Here's what I did...

1. Found a .gpx track on Motionbased for the trail I wanted to ride. It is a fully legal trail in an area I've been many times, but the trailhead (and a few turns) are so hidden I've never found this particular stretch of trail before.

2. Uploaded the track as the 'active log' from Mapsource (the CD that came with the 60CSx) into the GPS.

3. Saved the track to the GPS memory, which reduces it to 500 points (down from it's original 1800 or so over about 12 miles). It still had plenty of resolution to map the trail without problem.

4. Pulled the original track into Topofusion and created waypoints at the major intersections/turns.

5. Created a very basic track following the above waypoints.

6. Uploaded it back into the GPS using Topofusion's 'route' function.

7. Selected the simplified 500pt track to 'show on map.'

8. Rode to the trailhead, selected the newly uploaded route and pressed 'navigate route.'

It worked wonderfully, I had the arrow marker and distance to waypoint measurement, and also had the full track on the map page that I could look at too.

Now I just need a good stem mounted solution! For now I have it clipped onto the shoulder strap of my camelback which worked fine (easy to grab and check where I am) but I'd like to be able to see the map while riding.

I've got to say, this has the possibility of opening up a LOT of new riding opportunities!

Glad to see you found a solution. I'm also working on a h-bar (over the stem) mount. I am not satisfied with any of the mounts already on the market so I'm fashioning my own out of sheet stainless steel when I have spare time. It's coming along nicely. I'll post pics of it when I'm done in case you want to try something similar.