Thread: 6 degree spot

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

6 degree spot

I have in my hand a trailtech 6 degree spot HID bulb for my NR Blowtorch. The floods are not available. I bought it to save 50 bucks (compared to the $100 NR and others want).

I don't want to install this without some input from others (because if I hate it I am out 50 bucks). Realistically, will this work ok for the helmet or will it have too much throw compared to what I am used to. I can still return it.

Anyone?

mtbr member
    coming from the dive scene, a 6 degree hid should give a tight hot spot.. perfect for uk diving in crap viz..
    personally i wouldnt use it as a bike light..

If you had the 13 degree before, its going to be half that beam in terms of spot.

This video should give you an idea..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfS49omSujU

And this one for fun..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUUdQTWL5Bg

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Both videos were great - wrecks and all - hardcore.

Anyway, is the first vid. a 6 degree? It looked really tight, almost too tight. If so, I see your point. I guess I should return this bulb.

mtbr member
    It looks like a 6 degree hid to me..

Do It Yourself
    Check this pic of the 6 degree beam:

From this thread:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...gree-HID-flood

Looks like I remember, a tight hot spot with almost no fill. As I said, I preferred the 13 degree. The 6 degree maybe usable but far from ideal.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Check this pic of the 6 degree beam:

From this thread:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...gree-HID-flood

Looks like I remember, a tight hot spot with almost no fill. As I said, I preferred the 13 degree. The 6 degree maybe usable but far from ideal.

Many thanks.

I returned the 6 degree. Now I don't know what to do. I basically have a good NR system (at least it has worked well for me) with no bulb. I can pay $100.00 for a flood bulb or invest in a new system all together. I bought the 6 degree because it was half the cost of the NR mail order bulbs.

I know this is the DIY forum, but doing it myself is a little intimidating. I would love the capabilities though, because it looks like many people in this forum are making their own killer lighting systems for cheap.

Is there a step by step, cookie cutter approach out there?

Again, thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah
    I know this is the DIY forum, but doing it myself is a little intimidating. I would love the capabilities though, because it looks like many people in this forum are making their own killer lighting systems for cheap.

Is there a step by step, cookie cutter approach out there?

Again, thanks.
    I've posted a couple of very simple builds and there are a bunch of 2x XP-G/Regina/Bflex (LED, reflector, driver) build reports out there too. It's really a lot easier than you think and there are a lot of very helpful people on here that can walk you through it once you've got something in your head.

My current favourite simple build is an XM-L and Regina, driven by a soon-to-be-released Lflex from Taskled. Housing is simply a 2in (ish) piece of 1in.sq. tubing, with a U-shaped piece of the same tubing inside, holding the LED, driver, switch and cable. All held together with the screw of a Cateye light mount. Total cost is ~$70 all in and you'll get a 900lm (real life 750-800lm) light.

Even if you're clumsy half blind with sausage fingers like me, it's easy enough to do

mtbr member
    Can still get the Mr11 13 degree but its 78 in the UK
    http://www.rpamx.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000...%23a7632#a7632

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks Goldigger and Muppet,

I now have a plan. I am going to order the bulb Goldigger linked for now and start a build. I'll lurk around for some basic build threads and give it a try. It would be nice to rid myself of manufacturer dependence. Hopefully it will work out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Many thanks.

In my experience it doesn't work out that cheap. The main components on their own aren't too bad but you have to factor in all the postage costs and additional things like wire, thermal adhesive, solder etc that you can't buy in the tiny quantities you need for one light, plus all the bits you break, lose or don't quite do what you thought they would, and tools need but haven't got...

Even factoring this in, you can still get Lupine performance for a fraction of the price, but very few DIY projects come anywhere close in quality. Depends what you want.

I've been impressed with some of the first time builds using Hammond boxes as cases - search the forum for some good guidance. If you really can't face it, some DIYers sell their products in small quantities. Take a look at this thread as a starting point Besides Amoeba, who else is selling DIYs?

For me, I just like making things and it's become a bit of a hobby. I might also make a few to sell in future, just to recoup some of the development costs, but it'll never be a business.

The real irony I realised the other day is that I rarely ride in the dark. I don't think I've been for a proper night ride since November

help with the zip please
    I'll lurk around for some basic build threads and give it a try. It would be nice to rid myself of manufacturer dependence. Hopefully it will work out.
    It'll only be replaced by a dependence far worse, "The DIY Bug"

Welcome aboard