mtbr member
    May 2006

Good job! 500L / or three 200Ls

500L / or three 200Ls

hi,

cant seem to make up my mind,

need help any recommendations suggestions, in advance will be appreciated,

what shall i go for three 200Ls or the 500L, money is not an issue up too $500

the finished production unit 500L is now 600 lumens, so is at least three 200L,

i had bar and helmet in mind so three 200Ls would make sense,

but the most light possible for $500 is the way i want to go,

save up and get a 200L for the helmet is not a problem,

let me know what you think,

any one in the uk own these lights,

to make new mate, would like to meet up, and see these lights in
    in person, in action with my own eyes,

thanks again for any help or replys,

Spanish biker
    Hi, I would buy the 500L version, gives very good light and fill less space in your bike.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    buy the 500l and just one 200l, mount the 500l on your handelbars and the 200l on your helment that's how I ride , or just ask Rob at dinottelighting.com he's very helpful he give me a killer deal remember that the 500l has a large flood beam and the 200l has a very tight beam

mtbr member
    May 2006

Good job! 500L / or 200L,

thanks for the replys,

both of yours, suggestions and recommendations, have been very helpful,

nice to know you have the same setup combo, that i orginaly had inteeded on going for,

i have made up mind, i am going to with your recommendation frank,

i need to buy a helmet, up until now iv had no reason to use one thourgh havent been
    bothered, still problebly a good idea to wear one, just incase of hopfuly in the unlikely
    chance of comeing off or haveing a serious crash accident or colistion with a car,
    and sustaning a head injury, makes sense to wear one, the owning the 200L will give me that excuse, reason if you like to wear one, unfortunatly theres a lot of cars on the roads
    these days, and bad drivers, that seem to think there good drivers, should not be beind the wheel,

frank or anybody that owns the 500L, how whats to respond to my thread,

your thoughts on the 500L,

how do find it, how is it to use, how have you got on with it, rob and dinottes aclaimed burn times, of 3 hours on full power, have you tested this, is the time youve got out of battery, correct to the specs,

how do you find the size or is it smaller than it looks, on lactic acid threshold the 500L james called big green,

frank any chance of a beam shot,
    $ how much was that killer deal,

deal he gave me on the 500L, $430.00 USD,

my complet system setup,

2 x 500Ls on the handle bars,
    1 x 200L helmet,

1400 lumens,

dinottes rear light,
    Last edited by david 290; 08-28-2007 at 11:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    D290:

You NEED a helmet!!!!!

Just don't want to see anyone hurt.

MB

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    david, I dont think that you need to buy 2 500l damm that's alot of light ! I think just one light would be enought, sorry I dont have any beam shots on this light, but if look around I belive that james at gearreiew.com ? I think other people have posted beam shots on this light the run times are what they say they are

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yesterday night, someone in a car honked and high beamed me because my 200L was too bright. Then they noticed that I was a bicyclist, not a motorcyclist.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I am afraid you blind everyone else at the roads with 2 500L's. I recently build a simple light with only one Edison LED driven at 670 mA, that produces an amount of light that I can be seen clearly from more then a km away. For myself I am thinking about building a bigger version with 2 leds, but that would be the limit for me. With more light I am blinding others completely, I don't like cars that don't turn off there big lights, but then I shouldn't become like them. Some other Dutchies that build LED lights with 3 leds made cardrivers stop because they couldn't see clearly anymore...
    I wouldn't ride with 8 times the amount of light I have at the moment, it is dangerous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by super-fast
    I am afraid you blind everyone else at the roads with 2 500L's. I recently build a simple light with only one Edison LED driven at 670 mA, that produces an amount of light that I can be seen clearly from more then a km away. For myself I am thinking about building a bigger version with 2 leds, but that would be the limit for me. With more light I am blinding others completely, I don't like cars that don't turn off there big lights, but then I shouldn't become like them. Some other Dutchies that build LED lights with 3 leds made cardrivers stop because they couldn't see clearly anymore...
    I wouldn't ride with 8 times the amount of light I have at the moment, it is dangerous.
    Ok... I wasn't going to chime in here, but I feel the need. I hear, often, about "blinding car drivers" with bicycle lights. Don't worry about it. HID car headlights are more than 2000 lumens. Two 600L lights are 1200. If the driver can't handle your bicycle lights, they have bigger problems -- like street lamps, trucks, neon signs... etc. Not to mention lifted pickups that seem to be rather popular still.

Now, it is rude to other users of bicycle paths (multi use paths) be they on foot or bicycle or what have you. So if you do run that much light, dim it for oncoming people-powered traffic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by James@GearReview
    Don't worry about it. HID car headlights are more than 2000 lumens. Two 600L lights are 1200. If the driver can't handle your bicycle lights, they have bigger problems -- like street lamps, trucks, neon signs... etc.
    That's a good point.

That's why I basically ignored the person that was honking. I want to be seen by drivers at night!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It isn't just about the amount of Lumens that comes out of the light, it is about the amount of light that's going to the eyes of the driver. A car light is 40 cm's above the ground, when light goes straight ahead and don;t reach the ground nobody is blinded. But the lights on your handelbars are twice as heigt and your helmet light is even higher then that.
    You don't need a lot of light to blind someone, a cheapass 10 bucks flashlight will do the job perfectly. There have been to much accidents in the past because of children blinding cardrivers with flashlights...

pedal like hell
    Jun 2007

I've been using 2 500's

Rob has two "versions" of the 500L, although the newer one is more like a 600L as it is making around 600 lumens (I think that it's available for general consumption) and has a tighter spot than the 500.

His burn times are spot on (race tested with lap times) and they throttle down quite nicely. If you are worried about "blinding" others, you can turn it down to medium or low and get some silly-long burn times (10+hours IIRC).

I would think that for commuting the 500 is plenty of light on its own and there's no reason to limit yourself to a 200; your 500 can become a 200 when you need it to. For trail riding I'd recommend the tighter spot version, for the road I'd recommend the more diffuse.

Dinotte's customer service has been second to none, I've crash tested the lights, and it's impossible to find a better price/performance value out there in my mind.

As others have said, email Rob and he'll point you in the right direction.

Dan

mtbr member
    Do these come with any type of storage case?

pedal like hell
    Jun 2007
    They come in a cardboard box that could be considered "storage"

What I like about the Dinottes is that they come with everything you 'need' (extension cords, multiple batteries, helmet mount, bar mount, charger, straps for battery mounting, etc) and nothing you don't. If you wanted something to stick the light in, I'd say pick up a Pelican case and you will have a nice shock-resistant water proof case for everything when you're not using it.

(I keep mine in the cardboard box it came in)

Dan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddyduck
    They come in a cardboard box that could be considered "storage"

What I like about the Dinottes is that they come with everything you 'need' (extension cords, multiple batteries, helmet mount, bar mount, charger, straps for battery mounting, etc) and nothing you don't. If you wanted something to stick the light in, I'd say pick up a Pelican case and you will have a nice shock-resistant water proof case for everything when you're not using it.

(I keep mine in the cardboard box it came in)

Dan

Pelican case? Is that similar to a camera type case?

Edit: n/m I found what you were talking about. Thanks
    Last edited by birmy; 09-05-2007 at 09:51 AM.