Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

4 x 18650 Battery Adaptor

Guys,

Taking inspiration from modamag on this thread I am in the process of making something very similar, only not specifically to go inside maglite type torches.

Would be designed to take 4 18650 cells, either in 4S1P, 2S2P or 1S4P configuration and would have soldered leads for connecting to whatever light you have.

Thinking about doing a 2 x 18650 holder too, which would be along these lines

I don't have machining facilities, so would be casting these in polyester resin.

Wouldn't necessarily be of professional quality, but hopefully more than adequate.

Idea is that it would be very cheap, and you could stick in whatever 18650 cells you have, and pop them out for charging.

Anyone interested in some?

My other threads on the subject are here (Candle Power Forums) and here (Single Track World)

Cheers, Rich

At Work
    I may be interested.

mtbr member
    Nice solid modeling! Looks pretty hard to make w/o a cnc mill however. Guess you will be going the carve from wax and investment cast in resin approach?

I can't wait for 18650 holders to become available, and for cheap!

Good luck with the project.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'll take 2 of the 4x18650 holders *queues up*

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    looks good! what kinda price would you be looking at? (and do you ship to the uk?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkUG
    (and do you ship to the uk?)
    According to his profile hi is from UK.

mtbr member
    ortelius is indeed correct, shipping to the UK won't be an issue, as that's where I live

Regarding prices, haven't worked it out fully, but probably in the region of 10-15 ish for a 4xholder.

I would agree totally - making with a mill, especially a CNC one would make life SO much easier, but doesn't mean it shouldn't be possible without

I'm hoping the end result will be presentable, might take a few attempts, but I certainly want a few for myself, so fingers crossed I'll get there!

Will take a couple of weeks, but keep checking for updates here.

Cheers, Rich

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    While you wait, you could built yourself one of these

DIY battery holder for 18650

mtbr member
    Froberg - that looks nice and simple, had I found that in various searches, I probably would have just made myself some of those!

Another update on the design front - now that I've found a source for battery contacts, I can make the whole thing without requiring a clumsy bolt through the middle, in much the same way as commercial battery holders designed for AA's and the like.

This will be much simpler, and worst case scenario will require a little bit of Velcro around the batteries to stop them popping out of the holder.

The downside, is that the configuration cannot be changed quickly between 4S1P, 2S2P and 1S4P. I would pre-wire the units in whatever configuration was required, and then they could be re-soldered to change if required.

I think the pros out-weigh the cons though, and it should be much easier to use.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Rich

mtbr member
    And now with some fillets and cut-outs to make it easier to get the batteries in and out

Cheers, Rich

aka Chris
    Jun 2008
    Looks excellent - I'll be interested in a couple of units.

Chris.
    The Novice's LED Light Building Blog

mtbr member
    Looks nice, will you use spring contacts?

mtbr member
    I'll be in the UK for the next week and a half. Can you have one ready for me before I leave on the 9th?

mtbr member
    I had meant to show the spring contacts in one of the earlier images, but accidentally posted a pic of the part, and not the assembly - shown below is the unit with the clips and some dimensions.

Another suggestion to velcro to hold the batteries in is a bit of inner tube, which would be easier and cheaper

Johnny, I'm afraid the 9th is pushing it a bit in terms of getting some units complete, I'm still waiting on various materials, and it'll be a bit of trial an error before I'll have parts I'm happy to sell I expect.

However, it'll only weigh about 30g, so postage shouldn't be expensive.

Cheers, Rich

mtbr member
    Right, opinion time guys, do we prefer the one on the left or the right?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers, Rich

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    one on the right, we will need to use strap anyways.

mtbr member

New question here.

Right, I think I'm getting close to a finished article

I'm never going to please everybody by continually asking what people prefer, so apologies if you aren't as keen on the final iteration as some of the previous incarnations, but I consider it to be an improvement.

Next question, is if people could measure the lengths of their 18650 cells, and let me know the precise measurement, I'd be very grateful, as I'm aware that some cells are different to others. With some vernier callipers would be perfect, but make sure to insulate them with a bit of paper or suchlike, I don't want to be responsible for melting any measuring equipment

Cheers, Rich

aka Chris
    Jun 2008
    Looks good - I've got some Ultrafire protected 18650 cells, so will dig out my digital calipers over the weekend and measure.
    The Novice's LED Light Building Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I vote for the round one. Square one looks to be bulkier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Correct me if i'm wrong but don't some 18650's have protection circuits? and therefore are a little larger?
    Surely the open ended version would allow for both sizes, fitting the smaller unprotected by tightening the nut down abit?

mtbr member
    Seriously?!? good luck making these parts bro! They would be hard to mold even for the pros.

KISS is in order here (keep it simple stupi...)

Use a 4x C" size battery pack holder which sell for ~$2, and make plastic tubes that slip over the 18650 to make them C's. If they are not long enough, make little aluminum end caps to increase the length. If too short, cut the holders down the middle to widen them. Bigger size, but cheap, fast to make and basically light too.

Or use PVC plastic pipe etc. to fashion up the array. Candlepower or the like had some posts like this but for AA's.

mtbr member
    The cells which I use have a protection circuit, and are a little longer than un-protected ones. The clips which I am using have a fair bit of give in them, so the plan is to be able to accommodate both protected and non-protected cells, but I wanted to have an idea of a realistic maximum and minimum length which it needs to work for.

A comment on another forum was where does the protection circuit fit.

The circuit protection is against over-charging, short circuiting, and over-discharging, which I would have thought would be sufficient. Assuming that you are charging the cells individually, a balancing circuit for ensuring even charge between cells isn't necessary.

I'm building one for myself, and thought that others might be interested too.

Obviously it doesn't compare with the type of commercially prepared packs, there is no protection circuit, so if this puts people off, then they should pay the premium of a commercially sold unit.

sdnative - we'll have to see how successful my attempts at casting these units are - I may be reporting a dismal failure shortly! At which point I'll probably wish I hadn't just ordered 500 battery clips

Cheers, Rich

mtbr member

A Holder Source

I hope you don't meet failure!!

Mouser.com is a great source for battery holders BTW. They literally have hundreds of different mount options and array setups. All are very cheap ... $1.50-4 for the most part.

Check em out. And good luck using their search tool ...lol, over 1 million parts

...I usually just dl the entire catalog page and search each PDF page by page! Works better.

They are very professional also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkUG
    Correct me if i'm wrong but don't some 18650's have protection circuits? and therefore are a little larger?
    Surely the open ended version would allow for both sizes, fitting the smaller unprotected by tightening the nut down abit?

As I was looking at 18650's with protection circuits, I read that you don't want to pack multiple cells together that have protection circuits. I think you'd use a single protection circuit for the whole pack.

Flaccid Member
    Round one looks better... take a cut up old innertube and push the battery pack inside and tie off the ends like sausage in a tube container. Quick, simple, durable, light in weight, done.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast