mtbr member

3CREE Q5 - 1000ma BUCK PUCK ???

Ok, I am starting down the road of building a simple 3x Q5 light using 1000ma buck puck... its a simple achesalot home brew to start me off.

I am wiring the 3x Q5's in series, using the 3023 1000ma buck puck from Led Supply with 5k pot. I need some checking a few things out

2x Q5's would require 11.1 volts. Correct?
    Plus one for the buck puck and now I am at 12v. Correct?

To supply the required power I would need to wire and still get respectable run time I am thinking I need to wire an 8 cell pack in 4p2s (I tried a 6 pack and it hasn't got the juice). That should give me 14.8v. Correct?

Let me know. I also read that the buck puck pots are rather inconsistent so I might replace it with a hi/low resistor set up = 1000ma full power to 300ma lo power.

Thoughts guys? Thanks in advance.

One Gear
    A 4 pack battery (3.7x4) in series will give you the needed 14.8v. 8 batteries wired 4s2p will give you twice the runtime of the 4 battery pack wired 4s.

The Cree Q5's run around 3.7 volts each. So 3.7x3=11.1 plus one volt for the buckpuck should give you plenty of room. The 14.8v battery is ideal with the buckpuck for 3 Q5's.

Good luck.

Lets RIDE!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojoaf
    Plus one for the buck puck and now I am at 12v. Correct?
    The BuckPuck spec sheet says 2 volts over Vf of the LED string is needed. So 13.1v minimum. Your 14.8v pack should be great.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, thats what I thought.

By the way is truly better to wire the led's in series vs parallel when using a buck [puck type driver?

Lets RIDE!
    Depends on the current you want to the LEDs. In your layout, series wired LEDs will all be getting 1000ma. Parallel wired they each get 333mA, so not as bright but much longer runtime. With your plan to have a 1000/300mA dimming switch, you get both

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Jim I like your thinking-