mtbr member

305 speed & cadence sensor ?

Ok i got my305 and love it now i cant get the cadence sensor to work my FS Haro Shift
    R5.. the crank arms dont reach the sensor so its either the speed or cadence !

Do i really need the magnet to get my speed ? If I paid for a cadence sensor I would like to be able to use it .

I dont really want to get longer arms ....... any suggestions

ohh the cadence magnet is all the way at the end of the arm already ...

daniel

mtbr member
    Fair call about ditching the speed sensor, I also wonder what the real purpose is when the unit uses the GPS to track speed. Does anyone here know if it makes it any more accurate? or if there is another good reason to have it?

mtbr member
    I would try it today but I ruined 2 slime tubes in 4 days ahahahahaha . That blows since im working in between small little itty bitty POS towns ...pouplation 6 or something ..

Now where am i gonna get some presta tubes .. im gonna have to drive 50 miles... its gonna blow...

mtbr member
    I would try it today but I ruined 2 slime tubes in 4 days ahahahahaha . That blows since im working in between small little itty bitty POS towns ...pouplation 6 or something ..

Now where am i gonna get some presta tubes .. im gonna have to drive 50 miles... its gonna blow...

Do I really need the magnet for the speed to show up ! Doesnt the Gps do it already ?

mtbr member
    The speed sensor is for when you lose GPS signal. The receiver is good enough that that doesn't happen often unless you ride through tunnels.

mtbr member
    I'd say return it and get the one with the heartrate monitor. I've heard lots of bad things about the reliability of the cadence thingy.

mtbr member
    well then I'm gonna try the cadence sensor when I get some tubes today . BTW I got the cadence and heart rate monitor bundle ! everyday I use it I love it more....in places I would have stopped or just quit it keeps me motivated to challenge myself .

thanx for your responses guys

trail rat
    The most common use for the speed sensor is indoors with rollers / wind trainer, where you do not move and/or the building blocks satellite signal.

The speed sensor is only needed outside in areas with extremely poor satellite reception, like the jungles of Borneo or maybe the Arctic or Antarctic!
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    well then I'm gonna try the cadence sensor when I get some tubes today . BTW I got the cadence and heart rate monitor bundle ! everyday I use it I love it more....in places I would have stopped or just quit it keeps me motivated to challenge myself .

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by pebblehoppertj

Smart, very smart.

You'll get the cadence sensor working just fine.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Freedom Isn't Free

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus

The speed sensor is only needed outside in areas with extremely poor satellite reception, like the jungles of Borneo or maybe the Arctic or Antarctic!
    OK, I can see why you might expect poor satellite reception in Borneo, but Artic or Antartic?

This is satellite constellation 20K miles above Earth we are talking about...the existing constellation guarantees at least 4 satellites will be visible at any time, from any point on earth.

The orbital paths of these satellites take them between roughly 60 degrees North and 60 degrees South latitudes. What this means is you can receive satellite signals anywhere in the world, at any time. As you move closer to the poles (on your next Artic or Antarctic expedition!), you will still pick up the GPS satellites. They just won't be directly overhead anymore. This may affect the satellite geometry and accuracy but only slightly...

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Hol
    OK, I can see why you might expect poor satellite reception in Borneo, but Artic or Antartic?

This is satellite constellation 20K miles above Earth we are talking about...the existing constellation guarantees at least 4 satellites will be visible at any time, from any point on earth.

The orbital paths of these satellites take them between roughly 60 degrees North and 60 degrees South latitudes. What this means is you can receive satellite signals anywhere in the world, at any time. As you move closer to the poles (on your next Artic or Antarctic expedition!), you will still pick up the GPS satellites. They just won't be directly overhead anymore. This may affect the satellite geometry and accuracy but only slightly...
    Alright, A-Hol! (given your handle, I just had to do that)

Got me. I just assumed that the geosynchronous satellites were above the equator, and the that poles where the worst signal. I've read alot about the receivers, but not the birds, except I think it is 22.5K miles for geosynchrony, right? Thanks, A-Hol.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Freedom Isn't Free
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Alright, A-Hol! (given your handle, I just had to do that)

Got me. I just assumed that the geosynchronous satellites were above the equator, and the that poles where the worst signal. I've read alot about the receivers, but not the birds, except I think it is 22.5K miles for geosynchrony, right? Thanks, A-Hol.
    Acutally, I was mistaken as well...GPS sats are in roughly a ~12K orbit, or semi-synch orbit.

You are correct, geosynchronous sats are in a nearly 0 degree inclination, geostationary are in a 0 degree inclination, and out about 22.5K miles.

Here't to long, epic rides and a good GPS signal for our 305's!

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Hol
    Acutally, I was mistaken as well...GPS sats are in roughly a ~12K orbit, or semi-synch orbit.

You are correct, geosynchronous sats are in a nearly 0 degree inclination, geostationary are in a 0 degree inclination, and out about 22.5K miles.

Here't to long, epic rides and a good GPS signal for our 305's!
    Ok, you got me looking for more, and I found this website from the FAA, and especially this amazing link that gives real time status on satellite position and WAAS status. So the 60 degree north and south that you mentioned is obvious here.

That page has a ton of other links to waste alot of time if you are a techno-weenie like I am! I took my 60CSx and laptop out on the deck last night to compare the GPS and satellite pages. Stayed up way past my normal bedtime!
    CCCMB web - Facebook