mtbr member
    May 2011

3 pin connector ?

I am planning to modify my battery pack by running a balance tap so I can check the voltage (the pack is 2s2p) .

I was going to continue to use the current connector & just use a separate connector to use for the balance tap, but it occured to me there might be a neater way, possibly using a 3 pin connector.

Any suggestions ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You will have to open up the pack and solider on the new leads directly to the cells. If your pack is shrink wrapped you will need to re shrink wrap the pack. Balance connectors are pretty small so I would use one of them .

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks & for the reminder to replace the shrink wrap. I should have been more specific as I was looking for something that was waterproof, like this but smaller.

In any event I wouldn't have thought a balance connnector was suitable to use for both balancing and power.

In writing this, it occurs to me that I may be approaching this the wrong way. I know that the pack charges through the PCB and I had planned on having 3 wires coming out of the pack (1) + from the pcb, (2) - from the pcb and (3) balance wire.

Are you saying I should have another 2 wires for balance charging being (4) + from the cells, not the pcb and (5) - fropm the cells not the pcb ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you have a balance pcb then I wouldn't bother adding a balance connector. If your wanting to truly balance charge each cell I would then add a balance charging lead directly through the cells

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Darn, ain't that always the way - after I post a thread I come across the other thread that seems to have just what I am after

Meet the Skull with Binder connectors

Of course having read Ballistic Batteries comments, I probably need a five wire connector, so its all good

mtbr member
    If you're in the UK, look at Farnell and RS Components for Binder Connectors.
    I use the 712 Series and 768 Series stuff. Nice and small and the 712 can handle 4A. Use binderusa.com to see which part no.s you need. You may have to but separate bits from both Farnell and RS, one had the male socket but not the female plug and visa versa!

I like to use a female socket on the light and a male right angled plug. Keeps everything nise and tidy.

mtbr member
    Hirschmann connectors

RS

3 way IP67/68 panel mount 5.29 each http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=2906376

3 way IP68 lead 6.15 each http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=0282906

mtbr member
    I'll add one too. The switchcraft en3 series are nice, not super tough being plastic, but not super expensive either.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    you only need a 3 pin connector for 2 cell battery. you'll just have to make an adapter to charge off the 2 main leads and balance off all 3.

i'm thinking about doing this because its the simplest way to waterproof the balance plug.

how do you know which Binder connectors are waterproof? specifically 709 series?
    Last edited by Riken; 05-29-2011 at 01:02 PM.