Thread: 2x xm-l u build

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

2x xm-l u build

hi peeps
    i build this last week as id been using a proto type light for the last year or so 2x xm-l u bin i think 3 amp driver regina reflectors no name bar mount with a 7.2v 6.6 amp battery.run of the mill light build i was making merry last sunday night and wax going to ano it orange picked the gold ano dye up instead.
    cheers simon

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Pretty classic build there. What driver did you use?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    hi
    just a dx 3 amp 3 mod driver that i had spare next light i build for myself im treating myself to a taskled driver.
    simon

mtbr member
    that's a really tidy looking build, nice job!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    cheers mat have to laugh one of my so called friends calls my lights amaturish if thats spelt right. and me could make a better light so i offered him the challenge a block of ally and my milling machine im still waiting for the reply lol.
    simon

mtbr member
    Now that sounds like a good challenge.
    Name a block size of ally to start off with and see who comes out with the best looking light.
    Can anyone join in?
    Maybe an Xmas holiday challenge. Lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i dont think he,ll reply to me lol full of shite he is i started building lights september 07 and have built a few.ive only had 1 fail and that was abused.
    Last edited by thwang-01; 09-27-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    I only started in 2011, not done electronics since college and actually enjoyed that part of it, I'm a designer by trade but stuck back on cnc's for now.
    Was thinking it could be a little competition for the forum as to who could come up with the coolest sexiest light.
    Xml's is my next build can you post a couple of beam shots of those reflectors please.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stuflo View Post
    Was thinking it could be a little competition for the forum as to who could come up with the coolest sexiest light.
    I think the deck is stacked somewhat in your favor.....

mtbr member
    Hmm. Maybe. Ok I'll be banned from the competition then but just an idea. Could be fun and really get people thinking and using there imagination and thinking outside the box.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi thwang,

Where did you get the body for the light? Or was it something you created yourself via cnc type machine?

I'm looking to build a twin led set up and like the light body of your build.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Both designed and made by me. Both lights are designed for triple xpg 20mm boards using carlco triple optics and a maxflex driver board. The driver board has a little heatsink (that can be seen in the exploded view on my build log) that screws into the body and this acts to monitor the led temps. They were cnc machined and then the fins wire edm'ed.

Sorry thwang. Didn't mean to hijack your post. It was late and I was on a mobile and thought I was replying to wat someone asked me. Oops appologies
    Last edited by stuflo; 09-27-2013 at 11:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks, thought I could of bought it at a store or online somewhere. Guess I'll have to keep looking.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Well heck, if you have the know how... Willing to make one or two for a fellow mtb'er?

(Had to try!)

Looks gear man!

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    mines a manual mill for me to make my likes better id have to buy a rotory table lol i,ll put one on my christmas pressie list

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    hi pucked up they at done on a manual milling machine
    Quote Originally Posted by pucked up View Post
    Hi thwang,

Where did you get the body for the light? Or was it something you created yourself via cnc type machine?

I'm looking to build a twin led set up and like the light body of your build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    no cnc involved lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    high jack all you want mister i did put a thread up of a different design. but i have another project on the go making tattoo machines.
    thwang

mtbr member
    well, who gives a $hit what other people think? It's easy to be an armchair engineer (he says, sitting on a couch). I've often had people go "what the heck is that POS on your helmet" and then promptly shut up when I switch it on.

I think a "competition" would be really cool. They did one on BLF a while back and got a bunch of gift certs and prizes from sponsors. It was a complete hoot, especially following the more wacky designs. I had planned to compete, but then got swamped with work, although I finished the light in the end. Only downside would be setting a finish date that's feasible but without being so far in the future that people lose interest. E.g. for me, a feasible finish date starting now would be about June next year