mtbr member
    Jun 2007

24 Race - what lights?

I am going to be entering a 24 hour race (no support), so I need to have lights that will be able to handle at least 9 hours of burn time. What are the best options - carry spare batteries?

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Lupine Wilma 6!

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Lupine's are nice, but for the price of a Wilma 6 you can get 2 Light & Motion ARCs (HID with Li-Ion battery, 3 hour burn time). This means you can have a full power spare handy. The Solo Logic (Halogen) is a cheaper option, but still provides a bright light and even saves a little weight.

I race with either 2 ARCs or one ARC & a Solo Logic. 2 lights help eliminate shadows on technical trails. The batteries are interchangeable and even use the same chargers.

9 hours of darkness would require 3 standard batteries at a minimum. I would suggest charging the first battery used so you it available in case your lap length does not allow you to get the full 3 hours of burn time.

Good luck,

Eddie O

Spanish biker
    Hi, any led light with 2 or 3 batteries are suficient to ride all the night.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    You should be able to do the entire race with one battery using the Wilma 6, if you use the different out put settings, i.e. back it down to low when you have a long fire road climb. On the middle setting, the light should put out around 400 some lumens and still get 8-9 hours of burn time. Low setting gets atleast 42 hrs of burn time. This all on the same very light weight battery.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks - the problem is that race is not a lap race - so will have to carry all the batteries for the duration. The race starts at 10h00, and you have 24 hours to reach the end - I expect to be going for 18h. some of the LED's seem to run with standard batteries, so you do not have to incest in so many battery packs.

I ride a Swarf
    check out the dinotte 500l (it comes with 2 batterirs and has variable birightness) and their other lights are worth consideribng too.

i would suggest using both a a bar and helmet light if you can. especially as its not laps. laps give you chance to familiarise yoursrlf with the course.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

Do It Yourself
    You can pick up a L&M Arc Ultra Li-Ion on eBay for cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIGHT-MOTION-BIK...QQcmdZViewItem

and pick up an extra battery:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-IN-BOX-Light...QQcmdZViewItem

The new LED lights haven't been out long enough to get super steals on them yet.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try these guys out.

Pretty good prices too.

http://www.nightlightning.co.nz/adve...s.htm#Endurenz

Cheers,

Jawry

p.s. got mine on order - should be here in 2 weeks. Not great with a camera, but will try and get some beam shots

mtbr member
    I'd have to say go with an LED based light. There are a number of good ones out there, included the already mentioned DiNotte and Lupine lights. Right now, they are the brightest. I have not used the Night Lightning light, but I hope to rememdy that this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i've paid my money and made my choice (and sure i wont regret it) - but can anyone tell me how Nightlightning is getting 720 lumens out of 3 Seouls? Don't doubt their word - just curious.

BTW - my 12 year old daughter is to inherit the Jets - will be joining me for a regular Tuesday night ride. The future of MTB is looking good (wont be long before she is waiting she is waiting at trail junctions for her dad!! )

cheers,

Iain

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    give dinotte 500L a try and you wont be sorry

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by jawry
    i've paid my money and made my choice (and sure i wont regret it) - but can anyone tell me how Nightlightning is getting 720 lumens out of 3 Seouls? Don't doubt their word - just curious.

BTW - my 12 year old daughter is to inherit the Jets - will be joining me for a regular Tuesday night ride. The future of MTB is looking good (wont be long before she is waiting she is waiting at trail junctions for her dad!! )

cheers,

Iain
    they are usimg the highest figures for the best bins and ignoring losses due to optics/ reflectors and probably junction temperature too. 3x 240lumen = 720. just checked their site...they say upto 240lumen per led hehe. even so though...they will be bright. looks like a great light.

excellent news about your daughter.....what a cool handmedown.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?