mtbr member
    Nov 2007

20-100W LED Emitters

Hey Guys,

I have seen most people on the forum use Cree products and the P7 recently. I happen across a website..... www.satisled.com. There they had a bunch of 20+W LED emitters in a configuration I have only seen on that super crazy helmet light a few posts back.

Has anyone thought about using those LEDs for their own projects?

PRETENDURO
    I had considered it several months ago, but was convinced that the same light output could be achieved with several smaller emitters, and also the heat dissipation would be an issue to deal with. Further still, each of my 14.8V (actually 16.51V) 4400mAh battery packs already weigh 1.2 pounds, surely Id need at least 18V (6600mAh or higher) in a much heavier package in order to run something as crazy as that.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi fjio001 Yes I have used these high powered LED's and continue to do so. In fact just finished a 24hour race with the Bug Eye on the bars I have changed out the Fatman in preference to the Maxflex for more control.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...15#post5735015
    One of the biggest issues with these LED's are the lack of lenses or reflectors and they all tend to be floody in nature only controlled beams can be had by using aspheric lenses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    100W led
    http://cgi.ebay.com/100W-White-High-...item255c6caef7

70 - 80 Lumens per watt is pretty respectable and is only about 20% of the pace for the smaller emitters.

These leds seem to handle 200W continuous ok - with the right heat sinking, and @ 400W the light output is truly something to behold.

I mean, a measly $40 for 7000 - 8000 lumens - this has got to be the bargain basement way of making a light.

Cons - you will need 30-40V (10leds in series) - easy, just use 2x 6cell li-po packs in series. eg 2x 2.2AH li-pos less than $100USD. I used a PWM cct I built my self . The cct itself uses only 15mA - ie 99% efficient. The fan uses approx 1%.

The other con - very difficult to tightly focus the 20mm x 20mm led using small optics, but, with this much light, who needs to focus ? BTW, riding with such wide spill is an entirely different experience - once you have tried this you would never go back.

Several cheap reflectors and lenses are available (I have 6 types) eg http://cgi.ebay.com/62mm-Lens-Reflec...item3f01c5a953

I am now building a handheld flashlight version of my helmet light.

My helmet light is only 300grams for 15000 lumens (@200W). How much heavier would it be to use multiple small leds to achieve the same light output ?
    Last edited by Pepster; 08-30-2010 at 05:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formantjim
    One of the biggest issues with these LED's are the lack of lenses or reflectors and they all tend to be floody in nature only controlled beams can be had by using aspheric lenses.
    Hi formantjim. How was the beam pattern using this wide led with an aspherical. Is it good for road-use ? Did you like it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formantjim
    Hi fjio001 Yes I have used these high powered LED's ...http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...15#post5735015
    ...controlled beams can be had by using aspheric lenses.
    Know it can be hard to round up camera and stuff, but I'd love to see beamshots of this monster. Oh, forgot the magic word: PULEASE!? Either here or your original thread.