mtbr member
    Mar 2011

New question here. 1x XM-L build: SSC P7 3-mode Driver board switch suggestions?

I orginally planned on building a 3 or 4up xp-g setup. For simplicity & cost I scaled back my first build to be a single XM-L using the following board:

http://www.e-lectronics.net/3mode-dr...650-p-464.html

(I never ordered from them before but am impressed with quick service. They shipped the board the same day & provided a tracking number. Shipping was only $2.50 using USPS.)

I will using a lipo 7.4v 5000mah battery & the housing will be something using square aluminum tubing.

This board has 3 modes. I would like to cycle them like a flashlight. I want to use one of the Judcos in Figure 3.

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/US2011/P2300.pdf

Just wondering what type of switch would work with this circuit? I guess what ever type of switch a reverse clicky is what I am looking for as long as it could handle the current
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    can you measure the current ?
    usually around 2.4A
    could use a little more, and it says up to 12V,
    that be nice , to use 3 cell battery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    From reviews I have seen it can deliver about 2.7A. It says it's rated to 15v but the reviews said not to go over 12v. I think it will run cooler if I stick to the 2s batteries instead of the
    3s.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    cool beans, 2.7A
    with 3S, can also do a 2x XML with 1 driver,...
    3S 6-cell is nice, with balance connector,

Carbon8er
    I am not familiar with your board, but if it has modes, you usually trigger them with a NO SPST momentary switch.

The switch does not have to have a high current rating because the battery/led curent is not flowing through the switch.

The electronics on the driver are what feeds the led the proper voltage/current.

I stock several of the Judco switches.
    One of them fits into a cool thumb switch that mounts on the bars.

See this post for more details
    Inline switch ideas?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by El34
    I am not familiar with your board, but if it has modes, you usually trigger them with a NO SPST momentary switch.

The switch does not have to have a high current rating because the battery/led curent is not flowing through the switch.

The electronics on the driver are what feeds the led the proper voltage/current.

I stock several of the Judco switches.
    One of them fits into a cool thumb switch that mounts on the bars.

See this post for more details
    Inline switch ideas?

By the looks of it, it will change mode when the power is cycled much like the various DX/KD drivers, in that case you will actually need a switch that can handle the current.

Dirt Deviant
    If it is similar to the DX/KD drivers, does that mean it will need a NC, normally closed switch? Somebody please confirm.

If that is the case you have a couple options.
    You could use a mom switch and it will just turn on when it is connected to power, and the switch will only be used to cycle through the modes.

Or you could use a clicky switch, which will cycle the power as well as the modes.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Well, I would have thought you would just want a normal latching switch/or reverse clicky some of the Dx/kd drivers change mode if they are powered off and on again within a certain amount of time, else they come back on in the last mode.

Dirt Deviant
    You can use some kind of a latching switch, like a clicky.

But I believe if you use a NC normally closed MOM switch, you will not have a power off/on function without connecting/disconnecting the battery, which would not be too bad.

Since the switch would be normally closed, it will allow the power to flow through the switch, but when you push the button it interrupts the power, cycling to the next mode when you release.

It's not a bad way to do it if you don't mind not having an on/off function at the switch.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thats the same as the kd driver i use and im using one of el34 Judco switches with a 6.6amp battery for a year or so with loads of cycles thought the 3 modes still working great.
    thwang

Carbon8er
    thwang, which switch did you use?

The simple SPST Off-On?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    hi
    yes thats the one.
    thwang

Carbon8er
    Yeah, those have some beefy contacts.

Not sure what the life cycle is rated at, but I don't think you could ever wear one out on a bike light application.

Rated 5 amps at 14VDC

Strange but the same exact switch used to be rated 10 amps at 14 VDC
    Judco dropped the spec's a while back.

Not sure why, have to open one up and see if the guts are the same as the old ones.

Light freak
    Judco is also doing some new ones listed as "tactile feel".

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/US2011/P2300.pdf