Thread: 18650's ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

18650's ?

Which ones? some from DX or elsewhere? if from dx which ones again? I have a MCE altair and an xre altair that i will either be buying a pack(14.8v @ appx, 4000mAh or more). So do I go with a pack and if so what charger will need to be used since it will have a "large bank" or should I go with holders and do the 18650 cells seperately? I cant find charges that do more than 4 18650's at a time. Also do I go with protected or unprotected cells/packs? I have spent a good amount of time searching and am still quite unsure which route is best...These are my first lights and just got the LED,s, drivers and optics so I will be putting them together soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Best available protected 18650 is form AW with 2600mAH

A cheaper one which has also prooved as good is the WOW protected 2600mAh (also available as 6pack and 12pack) See the threas on the CPF

The highest available quality 18650 is from panasonic with 2900mAh (unprotected)

Good cell holders are available from sdnative or from his website: www.luminousdiy.com

You can also buy a complete battery pack from: http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/9.html (he is also a forum member but i missed his name )

hope this helps...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

About the chargesrs

Is it safe to use a 7.2V NiMH charger on 7.4V LiIon battery pack? What is the difference between the chargers, except that the NiMH's provide less current and a bit less voltage, so the charge times are a bit longer an less agressive to the LiIon battery packs?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaster79
    Is it safe to use a 7.2V NiMH charger on 7.4V LiIon battery pack? What is the difference between the chargers, except that the NiMH's provide less current and a bit less voltage, so the charge times are a bit longer an less agressive to the LiIon battery packs?
    no absolutely not!

The LiIon batteries need a complete different charging algorithm than NiMH!
    It is extremely dangerous to charge LiIon with an inappropriate charger - may cause exploseion or fires

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well I just bought 32 18650's...... 3.7v and 2600mAh. These will be for my brother and I to build a total of 4 packs being 5200mAh total each. we have 4 Dstar(2xMCE and 2xXRE). So which charger are you guys using for packs this large? I saw the ones for 14.8/16v packs but it says for 4pcs and we will have 8 in each. Also I will be looking at holders for them or soldering them into a pack.

Edit:
    and if need be I have a couple buddies building lights i can sell 12 to and keep 4 as spares.
    Last edited by EPDP99; 08-07-2010 at 03:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the up Whitedog

Watch DealExtreme as this link shows they advertise as 2500mAh BUT in fact are only 1800mAh

18650 3.7V "2500mAh"

Read the Overview. Quite a few of their cells they sell are like this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EPDP99
    Well I just bought 32 18650's...... 3.7v and 2600mAh. These will be for my brother and I to build a total of 4 packs being 5200mAh total each. we have 4 Dstar(2xMCE and 2xXRE). So which charger are you guys using for packs this large? I saw the ones for 14.8/16v packs but it says for 4pcs and we will have 8 in each. Also I will be looking at holders for them or soldering them into a pack.
    If you are going to build a battery pack where 4 cells are series connected ( 14.8v nominal voltage, 16.8v charge termination voltage) you need a LiIon charger for 4cells which shutts off at exactly 16.8v - no matter which capacity you have!

I assume you are going to make a battery pack 4s2p which means you build with 8 18650 cells a 14.8v and 5200mAh battery pack - so you need a 4cell charger!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog1
    If you are going to build a battery pack where 4 cells are series connected ( 14.8v nominal voltage, 16.8v charge termination voltage) you need a LiIon charger for 4cells which shutts off at exactly 16.8v - no matter which capacity you have!

I assume you are going to make a battery pack 4s2p which means you build with 8 18650 cells a 14.8v and 5200mAh battery pack - so you need a 4cell charger!
    thats correct. I just cant seem to find holders set up to be for 8 batteries, only four that I would have to parallel them up. Hopefully I find something. I might just do a pack with 4 and run it then throw another pre-made pack or batteries that are ready to go. I havent held the batteries in my hand to get an Idea of even how heavy they will be....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You can put 2 of the 4x flatpack holders side by side! (back to back)
    DIY 18650 Li-Ion Cell Holders, Take 2

also available here:
    http://www.luminousdiy.com/Light%20K...ts.htm#holders

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks Whitedog1! Just the help a Li-Ion noob needs. WOW-cells and Luminous-holders ordered!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Ultrafire black/red flame 2400mAh 18650 also tend to be quite good from reviews at CPF and other places, capacity only slightly worse then the WOW and they tend to be cheaper depending on quantity. Where to buy them from varies. When I was buying Lightake were fairly cheap as they had a 5% discount coupon but I'm pretty sure it ended. Also I was buying 2x2 packs and LT does reduced price starting from 2 (DX you need 3). However I later found buyincoins. There is a 10% coupon for them you can easily find, I think it's still valid. You can only use it once although this seems to be enforced by the account, and you don't even need to create an account. Even better if you say someone referred you you get 5% discount and it does stack with the 10%! If anyone is interested I'll post my referrer info, won't post it otherwise since it may seem spammy. Also if you're buying a larger quantity the best place to order them from may vary.

BTW

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

safe low voltage for 18650?

when discharging a Li-Ion 18650, what is the safe low voltage you can take them to?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    2.7V, but if you want them to last, cut them off at 3V.