15w BLT Blitz Conversion to XM-L LED

Parts
    LED Supply
    XM-L Cool White - $10.05
    Optics Carclo 20mm - Plain Tight Lens for helmet - $1.25ea
    Optic holder - $0.23

Dealextreme
    LED Driver sku#57779 - $5

Westburne Electrical Supply (Pricing in CDN$)
    CUP-2 KILLARK 3/4" CLOSE-UP PLUG - $1.95
    R32 KILLARK CONDULET - $2.30

Manage to convert this halogen head lamp to LED.

1) You'll need to create a lens cover out of plastic or lexan. One in picture is plan plastic sheet. As the previous cover was from the bulb itself.

2) For details on the the light housing going into the BLT housing click here. It's steps one to three from my Easy XM-L build. the only difference is I attatched the driver to the back side to the Cup 2 Plug. You'll have to determine which wire coming from the BLT set is positive and which is negative. Don't know if they're made all the same but on my set positive was on the right when looking at it from the front. After that all you need to do is solder the wires to the driver, "+" in the center and "-" is around the edges.

3) Once the driver is set, test to see if the light is working and carefully push everything in. I placed drops of silicone to the contact points to protect it from shorting.

4) Once it's sealed, attatched to you helmet and go out at night and ride.

I know these were popular back in the day, so if you still have them laying around collecting dust maybe this can help you recycle them. So for about $20 you'll have yourself a high power and bright headlamp.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nice fit. I think I might know a few people with these kicking around the back of the closet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah I'm looking for a few to buy cheap!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here are some trail shots for those of you asking.

Camera - Nikon D70s
    Settings - Manual
    ISO - 200
    Shutter - 3s
    WB - Daylight
    Fstop - f4

No Lights

Low

High

Keep riding!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Are you using the SLA batteries from the original BLT lights? If not, what batteries are you using and how did you use the existing BLT wiring?

By the way, I cut off the lens cap from the old bulb and intend to use that instead of one made of plastic or lexan.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbikergoat1 View Post
    Are you using the SLA batteries from the original BLT lights? If not, what batteries are you using and how did you use the existing BLT wiring?

By the way, I cut off the lens cap from the old bulb and intend to use that instead of one made of plastic or lexan.
    I'm using TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery 2500mAh and 4x battery holder from DX. In step 2 of this build there is a link which will lead you to my Very Easy XM-L Build. It has all the parts that I used for this build. That SLA battery was dead a few years back.

As for the wiring, just cut off what you need from the battery, connect it to your battery holder and then you'll need to test at the light end which is positive and negative.Once that's done solder it to the driver.

What did you use to cut off the lens cap? Dremel with a carbon cut off wheel?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Awsome job again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Lens cap cut off by Dremel with carbon cut off wheel as you said. Took about 2 minutes. Just waiting for my led driver to start the conversion.
    Thanks for posting BTW!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbikergoat1 View Post
    Lens cap cut off by Dremel with carbon cut off wheel as you said. Took about 2 minutes. Just waiting for my led driver to start the conversion.
    Thanks for posting BTW!
    Thanks for bringing up the lens cap idea, it works.

Update:

Anyone trying to reuse the lens cap off the original bulb, you don't have to cut all the way around. Just cut about a 2cm slot and take a flat head screw driver and carefully pry the lens cap off the bulb body.

Happy night riding!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Another update to this build.

You actually don't need the original lens cover. All you need to secure the light head to the body is the original screw on cap. Once you screw the light head all the way down, the cap keeps it in place! You'll have a bit of the R32 sticking out but that's all.

Here is a closer look.

Don't know why I didn't figure this out from the start.

BTW if you use the original lens cover the screw cap will not screw all the way down. I never really like that cause it may come loose if you're in a crash. The last you want is too look for a tiny part on the trail in the dark.

Hope this helps if anyone is trying to retro-fit the BLTs.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    nice. It'll help a bit with the cooling too, which is a bonus.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    nice. It'll help a bit with the cooling too, which is a bonus.
    Yeah it makes this build that much easier!
    "By Your Command"