mtbr member

12+ volts to direct drive an MCE?

I ought an MCE from ledsupply.com and just wanted to test it- it wouldnt light up with my 4cell (parallel wired) pack- so I asked them about it and they said I would need 12+ volts to direct drive test it?

I was confused and thought I would come here to get a little more enlightenment.... here is the response from ledsupply.com:

"To direct drive one of our Cree MC-E Stars you need at least 12.8vdc - you don't have enough voltage with your test."

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojoaf
    I ought an MCE from ledsupply.com and just wanted to test it- it wouldnt light up with my 4cell (parallel wired) pack- so I asked them about it and they said I would need 12+ volts to direct drive test it?

I was confused and thought I would come here to get a little more enlightenment.... here is the response from ledsupply.com:

"To direct drive one of our Cree MC-E Stars you need at least 12.8vdc - you don't have enough voltage with your test."
    Alternatively, you can test each of the dies one at a time by isolating the connectors one at a time. Using the continuity test on your meter is usually the best way.

Otherwise, if you want to light all 4 at once, then you won't have enough voltage with a 3.7v pack.

One Gear
    Wait for a driver to arrive. Less opportunity for misfortune to come your way. On the battery, either use less battery voltage and a boost driver. Or, more battery voltage and a buckpuck. Also, is your battery pack "exactly" 4 batteries with 3volts each?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    More importantly the current running to it unchecked will likely blow out the LED.
    I know this because it happened to me a few years ago, I hooked up a low voltage pack and tried to test the LED without a driver. It lit for a split second and that was it. Time for some new LEDs.
    If your pack is more than 1amp don't connect it. Mine was a 3000mah pack and unchecked it just fried it-too much current!
    Eric S

mtbr member
    Yeah I will wait for my driver to come in. Thanks guys.