Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1

mtbr member

It had to happen 4/3/2/ now 1 XML

As I have run out of freebe stock Aluminium I had to buy some in . so taking a leaf out of odtexas`s book went for box section stuff .

got some 1 inch 16 swg gauge walls and some 3/4 inch square bar this is as near perfect as you could wish for slice off an 8 mm piece for the heat sink and after a light rub on some sand paper it is a tight press fit in the box section
    no thermal paste required as it is so tight as to need pressing in with a vice so very good metal to metal contact

a bit of machining for the Laura with out the holder .

and an hour spent doing some finny work
    and an M4 tapped hole for the mount

and all bits ready for an Lflex I used an old maxflex for the weigh in and still have a couple of holes to drill for the switch and power cable

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    .....Perfect!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wow. Looks really great

mtbr member
    nice! This is something I've been thinking about too, should be a simple, straightforward and relatively cheap build. I wonder how well this would work as a helmet light..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I like it. I have some 1" square tubing with 1/16" walls which will take the Laura in it's holder, though I may need to attach a heatsink to keep it cool.

How are you planning to attach the rear cover to the square tubing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    nice! This is something I've been thinking about too, should be a simple, straightforward and relatively cheap build. I wonder how well this would work as a helmet light..

Hopefully really nice as a helmet light but wont be able to say till George releases his Lflex
    and one swims across the Atlantic .

Natac

Yes I have a bit of box the same as you to play around with but like the thicker walls so as to be able to drill and tap into them .

the end plate will be either bolted on with M2 bolts or more likely glued in with silicon or epoxy

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Very nice looking!
    Should be really good as a helmet light I should think.

removing nudity
    Very nice Chris. If you get a decent enough beam out of just the one then I think we are finally getting close to truly minimalistic helmet lights with the ability to helmet mount battery as well.

The only problem I see for you is, where to from here?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26

That's always the question and somehow we always find something new...
    That's why we all keep coming back and comparing bits....

Light looks great Troutie. The mill and your skill really turns out a professional light from some box section.

This would make a great production light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    Very nice Chris. If you get a decent enough beam out of just the one then I think we are finally getting close to truly minimalistic helmet lights with the ability to helmet mount battery as well.

I think we are just scratching the surface yet as we are messing with old optics
    surly the optic makers will get some good ones out for the new XMls soon .

what I am coming to the conclusion is that 2000 lumens is about the max and it is how those lumens are presented that is important .

For me I will just keep bumming along hacking out a few lights until I get fed up with it and then go on to making other stuff

I dont for a minute think it will be able to handle the heat but am not too worried as Georges Lflex will look after that

Odtexas
    yes as a production light something like it would be great but you can be sure MS will have one out cheaper soon .

Barrington Womble
    Aug 2010
    Hi troutie love the new one Think the downward sequence should stop now . Sure you've said b4 somewhere buy what is the bar mount you are using? Is it easy to get in UK?
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Another masterpiece Chris. And at that weight you won't notice it on your helmet. With George's new lflex, a 3.7v battery and up to of 900 lumens its got to be a winner!

I'd also be interested to know where I can get a few of those mounts. The lupine one is ridiculously expensive for 50p's worth of melted plastic. I can buy two xml's or most of an lflex for the same price

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cagliari
    Hi troutie love the new one Think the downward sequence should stop now . Sure you've said b4 somewhere buy what is the bar mount you are using? Is it easy to get in UK?
    Cheers.

the downward sequence has continued tonight. as it is now zero xmls
    dont yet know what happened. but. connected it to the bench power supply and it went to 3.8 volts @ 3amps ran ok for a few. shines around the garden and room
    and then just went out. and wont power up again .
    it was not hot either. as i had switched on from cold and was going to letmit heat up to see how fast it got hot .
    I think it just died

the mounts are the Electron mounts from chain reaction cycles. 1.99 each

Dirt Deviant
    Looks good Troutie.
    Too bad it bonked out on you.
    Had you used this xml for any crazy testing previously?
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Looks good Troutie.
    Too bad it bonked out on you.
    Had you used this xml for any crazy testing previously?

nope was a new one. also the Hipflex on my test rig is now dead. so I am thinking it might have been the hipflex killing the XML in its death throws

now out of xmls so it could mean the break up of the quad or wait for some more to arrive

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb

Oh I see what you've done. I guess it started as one of these but has been relieved of the knob and bottom link. Very clever. Thanks Chris.

mtbr member
    great little light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    nope was a new one. also the Hipflex on my test rig is now dead. so I am thinking it might have been the hipflex killing the XML in its death throws

now out of xmls so it could mean the break up of the quad or wait for some more to arrive
    Or maybe the XML went open circuit and caused the Hipflex to pop? I don't think being connected with no load does them any good

Barrington Womble
    Aug 2010
    the downward sequence has continued tonight. as it is now zero xmls
    dont yet know what happened. but. connected it to the bench power supply and it went to 3.8 volts @ 3amps ran ok for a few. shines around the garden and room
    and then just went out. and wont power up again .
    it was not hot either. as i had switched on from cold and was going to letmit heat up to see how fast it got hot .
    I think it just died

Sorry to hear about the sad demise of your last XML, still waiting for mine to arrive. Cheers for the info about the bar mount, the same mount I used for my Lumicycle triple clone last year !! didn't think about modding the bar mount seemed to work well as was, looks like it works well for lighter builds. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JezV
    Or maybe the XML went open circuit and caused the Hipflex to pop? I don't think being connected with no load does them any good

OK i guess I was due a failed led or 2 as have had a good run without bit sad to have the Hipflex go to boot hill too

anyways good news for me was I had forgotten the one on the ali bar as an optic tester .
    so I have one to slot in to the mk2 light .

MK2 light you say why .

Well I was a bit confused before the led & driver killed each other that the beam was not as I expected so removed the Laura and sat it on the test led and it was good .

so a bit of detective work was needed , I drilled out the centre of a Laura so as to see where it sat on the led

I should have photoed it then but forgot it was about 1.5 mm above the led base plate
    Ahh the culprit .

this is how I wanted it to be
    the laura sits on a ledge in the light and I had arsed up the measurements by the thickness of the optic flange

easy I thought put it back in the mill and take the flange down a bit .

WRONG

when I saw chips flying from an unusual place it was too late the case had joined the led and hipflex to the funeral .

so the mk 2 was born with this time with

Re the mounts I have a few of the tops as use the bottoms on the Liberator mounts
    so a good way to use the other half .

Dirt Deviant
    Ohhhh. I love me some round bottom Fins.........= )
    Too bad about the case, but at least you got everything sorted out.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

removing nudity
    Chris I'm both saddened and yet very happy to read your last post.

saddened by your misfortune, but glad to see that young Fin reappear. I can't tell you the number of times I have searched these forum pages looking for her.

Rep Power Infinity +2
    crap, between your avatar emu and your picture troutie I think my brain just exploded

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brad72
    crap, between your avatar emu and your picture troutie I think my brain just exploded

credit for the RBF. is I believe Znomits
    but she is a Beauty along side Emu s. avatar

mtbr member
    back to being ready for an Lflex

and also experimenting with a silicon substitute

comes with a nice nozzle to put the glue where you want it and seems better than silicon but time will tell the switch and optic are fixed with it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast