mtbr member
    Dec 2007

[HELP] How to change a old Bulb headlight to Led head light?

I am thinkin about changing my CATEYE olde style bulb head light into more effiecent and bright LED while keeping the classic fel of the appearance.
    (I have a cree Q5 flashlight already, I intent to use this one for city riding - close distance and spread-out lighting)

My head light i s HL-330H
    Use 2 X C-SIZE BATTERIES
    Light Bulb is 2.5V-0.3A.
    http://www.cateye.co.jp/hlhtml/hl330h.html

Specifically, "How to" change a old Bulb headlight to Led head light here?
    Any great suggestion for parts~
    Step by step guide would welcome, I am a newbie ^-^

I currently has this one LED at hand:
    Emitted Colour : WHITE
    Size (mm) : 10mm
    Lens Colour : Water Clear
    Peak Wave Length (nm) : N/A
    Forward Voltage (V) : 3.2 ~ 3.8
    I don't know if it will be brighter than my old bulb?
    Or may i go for Cree LED?

JRA
    That housing is not a good candidate for an LED. I doubt you could find optics to fit it, and if you did you would need a way to get the heat out of the plastic case. You'd be better off with another flashlight.
    Is it true you're an analyst for Brewster-Keegan? Awesome!

mtbr member
    I have a Cygolite Dualcross and followed the instructions on this thread. I did a dawn patrol this morning with a buddy who has a stock Cygolite Dualcross, and it blew his away hands down. The conversion was straight forward per the instructions. Last I saw, someone is still selling that model on eBay for $109...making a cheap, easily modded LED (even for the novice).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It can de be done for sure, I did it myself with another plastic light. An internal heatsink isn't really efficient but it does do the job. I wouldn't push the led to the limit because it would become to hot, battery life isn't becoming better (read is getting worse) and I doubt you could see the difference. My heatsink becomes 45 degrees Celcius when I drive the led at 700 mA when it is inside (so 20 degrees).