The Notorious S.L.O

$23.00 dollar Halogen to LED upgrade

I have set of Performance brand lights, purchased new in 2006, still worked good, battery packs still hold nearly 3 hours of charge, but they were a bit weak as they were halogens.

Being looking around for some direct replacement LEDs, finally found some at The Home Depot, Phillips GU4 Base MR11, for $22.97.

Much brighter, but concerned about lighting distance, as they are labled as floods. Can't imagine that with the increased light, they would be worse than the halogens.

I wanted to make the most of the setup I already had, think this will get me a couple more seasons out of these.
    And for some reason, this crappy cellphone picture is huge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails .00 dollar Halogen to LED upgrade-south_jefferson-20121025-00178.jpg  

BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nice find! Although I checked them on homedepot.com, and the website states "discontinued for online purchase, store stock may vary."

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    Nice find! Although I checked them on homedepot.com, and the website states "discontinued for online purchase, store stock may vary."
    guess I had better run down to home depot and pick up two more.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Typical lumens per watt ratio for MR11 halogens is 10 to 1, and for MR16 sized it was 20 to 1. So a 10W halogen MR11 is typically 100 lumens. These Phillips MR11 LEDs are listed as 3W and 33 lumens per watt for the single emitter spot model (which isn't discontinued), and 3.5W and 40 lumens per watt for the dual-emitter flood model. A bigger difference is the single emitter is a 4000k bright white and the dual is a 2700k soft (aka warm) white.

Another issue you can run into when doing these drop-in bulb conversions is while the LED bulb has the circuit board and everything to take the 12V from the power pack to drive the LED correctly, but they're meant to be used in either open/exposed track light pots or outdoor lights where there is a lot of air flow or air space around the bulb to deal with heat. They are also often LONGER than a halogen MR11 bulb and might not correctly fit many sealed bicycle light system heads meant for halogen MR11s.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I know this thread is a week old, but hopefully someone will read this.

I thought these 12 volt MR16 lights were AC, not DC. So.....they work with 12 VDC?? I've thought of doing some projects, but stopped after I was told they only worked on 12VAC.

Please advise.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Anytime you see an interior/exterior bulb listed as 6v or 12v its DC. The light may plug into an AC outlet but they have a transformer converting the juice to DC.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks! I was looking for an AC to DC converter at Home Depot. The guy said all the landscape units converted 120VAC to 12VAC....hence all the 12V lights are VAC. I just accepted it as fact.

Thanks for clearing that up, I have seen some 12V LED lights that I'd like to use in my wife's van (for extra interior illumination).

The Notorious S.L.O
    couple of test runs, seem to be working ok, seems to be throwing a bit shorter light but brighter, did breath some life into the old nicad batteries as far as light time.
    Did have to modify the retaining ring by removing a lip to get it screw down, O ring still in place, so it appears to still seal adequately.
    Was looking for a way to keep using these 7 yr old lighting rig, 40 bucks with these LEDs seem to have helped
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I tried this lamp swap couple of months ago too with similar results. My Performance Viewpoints are 1998-1999 model year, bell shaped and polished. Lamps fit in good but were a bit long as mentioned above. I had to leave 2 threads showing in the joint.

Light throw is definitely shorter but far more uniform than the halogens. Aimed low on the trail from the bars or fork they work OK to add depth and would be decent for an around town commuter light. If you ride with another modern LED light on your helmet or in a group where everyone has them your light will be washed out. You may get by riding in the back of the pack with this mod but once anything else shines through you'll find it disappointing.

For anyone hesitant to hack up a light and solder in new electronics this is easy plug and play work. May extend the life of your setup a bit but is not a comprehensive solution compared to many of the cheap LED offerings on the market. In any case, I always swing by the LED lamp shelf in H.D. to check out if there are any greater LEDs coming to market for this MR11 application.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Anytime you see an interior/exterior bulb listed as 6v or 12v its DC. The light may plug into an AC outlet but they have a transformer converting the juice to DC.
    Wrong. These transformers are only used to convert from a higher voltage to lower voltage.
    Most all of the outdoor residential wired lighting is "AC" not DC. The Malibu line of outdoor lighting products(available almost everywhere) simply convert the 120 VAC to 12 VAC; no rectification. The vast majority use ac because of the corrosion issues using dc in wet environments.