View Poll Results: Z1 FR ETA 5" fork...love it or leave it on my Lavadome?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • duuudde!,you're nuts, swap back to a well damping xc frok, now!

1 50.00%
  • no worries mate, i have done this for years and i still have all my teeth. really.

0 0%
  • wake up, pal! time for you to get a new all-mountian fs frame an djoin the 21st century

1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    inner peace to make peace

New question here. Z1 5" Lavadome hardtail set up...risky?

I know that i've voided the warrenty on my Kona Lavadome by installing a 5" Z1 FR fork on my crmo steel Lavadome hardtail.

I've finally set my my Lavadome as a perfect trail bike for me and thrails that i ride on: it's so sweet.

However, since the Lavadome was intially design for a 50mm/2" fork i've been getting feedback from LBS wrenches that advises i may be losing a lot of teeth when the headube/bottom tube welded area sunndenly snaps during a fast rough ride. Even some non bike shop frineds are shaking their concerned heads.

So is my hardtail "Nirvana" to be short lived? Do I need to get back to a 80~100mm fork or do I need another all-mountian xc frame desiged for a 100mm/4" fork...so that 130mm/5" fork will not stress, my old trusty cold steel frame, out too much.

I've been saving up some cash for a new $1900 Kona Stinky (to dabblle in DH or (Kona fans...don't look: a $2100 Ventana El Salomonte coiled fs frame) or even..perhaps... a Kona Stab Comp. so much MTB intrest, so liitle money to fulfill it all.

Am I taking unnecessary risks for my 200# fat arse or shall I just shut up (!) and ride! ??

i do ride a lot (lucky me), but i'm at work right now, heh heh.
    Last edited by TrailNut; 03-03-2005 at 09:36 AM.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

UK Biker

U might be lucky!

But I doubt it!

Based on ur weight and your obvious desire to go big I wouldn't expect the frame to be able to handle that much leverage for long!

The other aspect is the handling. For a frame designed around 50mm travel fork and 71 degree head angle it's gonna slacken the angles by 4 degrees! The handling is gonna be way slow but very stable.

Fluff

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffbomb
    But I doubt it!

Based on ur weight and your obvious desire to go big I wouldn't expect the frame to be able to handle that much leverage for long!

The other aspect is the handling. For a frame designed around 50mm travel fork and 71 degree head angle it's gonna slacken the angles by 4 degrees! The handling is gonna be way slow but very stable.

Fluff

thanks, handling fine...i accept the trade off...bettter for chutes and drop offs, clumsier on twisty singletracks.

i inverted my 110mm 10deg stem and am running 23" (narrow) flatbar and use the ETA lockout at 30mm travel most of the times (climbing & sprinting) to mitigate the handling and frame stress.

i like it so far..hope the frame will hold until i decide what to do next:
    keep the frame, use Z1 for year round trail riding and use a RS Sid (w/ 6" rotor) for "peak" xc race season: from April to August) -or-
    put this frame on the "reserve"
    and replace with
    2.8# al. hardtail (w/Sid fork) or a 6.3# Ventana El Saltomontes coil fs and Z1 fork
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member
    What year is your Lavadome? I have a 2000, which came with a 63mm fork. I swapped to a 3" fork and have had no problems (although I only weigh 160).

My opinion - get a new bike and make you Lavadome your winter/mud/XC beater. That's what I did.

1998 Lavadome...like a rock

Quote Originally Posted by craig
    What year is your Lavadome? I have a 2000, which came with a 63mm fork. I swapped to a 3" fork and have had no problems (although I only weigh 160).

My opinion - get a new bike and make you Lavadome your winter/mud/XC beater. That's what I did.

1998 Lavadome, born with 50mm fork...i have some expensive parts that will likely only fit this bike....Besides, i love it...

and i already have a winter/mud beater/towner, a Schwin Moab-3 with Manitou MX 4"