get down!

Would an XL Satori be too big for me?

Called the LBS and they can't get a 2013 20" Satori in the current model, but they can get the XL.

I'm currently riding a 20" Raijin and love it. I'm not even sure I need the Satori, but I WANT it for purely unrational man reasons.

Raijin 24.5" top tube, 100mm stem, 16.7 reach, 33.7" stand over

100mm stem + 24.5" top tube = 28.44 total inches

Satori 25.5" top tube, 70mm stem, 18.2 reach, 33.2" stand over

70mm stem + 25.5" top tube = 28.26 total inches

The reach on the Satori is listed as much more than the Raijin. I guess that's the main thing that has me worried. That and the wheelbase on the XL Satori is 47.4 vs. 43.9 on the Raijin at the max. That's .1" longer than the XL Salsa Horsethief (how is that possible?). I just don't want to be too far behind the front of the wheel on the Satori and have trouble weighting it on steep switchbacks and climbs because of the really short stem. On the flip side most that ride the Satori have a really short stem on it right?

I'm 6'2" with long arms (I think) and around a 34.5-35" cycling inseam.

Thanks for your insight and opinions.

Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Have you tried The Path, seems they are getting lots of 2013 Konas in stock.

And if the geo of the Satori is anything like the Honzo, geo sheets can be misleading. My 20" Long Honzo (50mm stem, 785mm bar) definitely rides much smaller than the 26" ETT and 18"+ reach leads you to believe.

MTB B'dos
    All depends on how you like your fit. I'm 6'2.25" with very long arms and a 35.25" inseam and I like an ETT over 25", don't really bother too much with reach/stack, just gives me a better idea of what length stem I'll need to run. Thing is you're running a 200mm stem which isn't all that long, but for a bike like that shorter is prob better, so you can loose some length there by going down to a 60 or 70mm. What you have to think/worry about is the added WB you'll be getting going first to an FS and then secondly a size up over what you're currently riding. No chance to demo at all? I've bought all my bikes blind and besides the 1st one which I thought was too small when the local shop ordered it, everything else has been fine.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My 18" Satori fits a tiny bit smaller (shorter) then my 18" Raijin.

Both are notably shorter then my 18" Honzo.

I ran a 70mm stem on the Honzo, I run a 90mm on both the Raijin and Satori.

-

Depending on your usage, if you are hoping to run a 50mm or 70mm stem on your Satori then you will want to go up a size. If you want to keep the fit similar then keep the same size as your Raijin.

-

Re. Wheelbase. It is all about the slack headangle.

The rear-centre (what people really notice when they talk about "long" bikes) is actually the shortest in class for the amount of travel it has (Tallboy LT and Specialized Stumpy are both at least 1/2" longer)

The slack head angle makes the front-centre long, but it really isn't something you notice riding with the exception of really tight downhill switchbacks. Definitely wouldn't trade to a steeper headangle for what I use the bike for.

-

Amazingly versatile bike. It climbs well and spins efficiently but it stomps downhill.

-D

MTB B'dos
    I think DrewMs feedback should help you a lot in answering your question. To me it says that the Xl should work out fine for you, as I'd think you'd want to be running a nice short stem with a bike like this and he's totally right about WB not telling the whole story......... When I got my XL Prime coming in with a WB 3"> longer than my XL Paradox I was very worried, but honestly despite my hyper sensitive feelings to small changes in cockpit, saddle height etc, somehow Keith @ Banshee got it right and the difference is so negligible that I only noticed it for the first little spin about, after that I was just enjoying how great it handled, how stable it was and how stiff.
    Last edited by LyNx; 09-11-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

get down!
    Sounds good. I think the XL will work for me, I wouldn't be able to run the 20" with a short stem and usually run 25" top tubes anyway so .5" wouldn't be much of a stretch (literally). Now I just need to come up with the cash!

tg
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Sounds good. I think the XL will work for me, I wouldn't be able to run the 20" with a short stem and usually run 25" top tubes anyway so .5" wouldn't be much of a stretch (literally). Now I just need to come up with the cash!
    I am 6'2 and ride a 20' satori. Fits perfect with the stock 100mm stem. I plan on selling at the end of the season (oct.-nov.) pm me if interested.

get down!
    it says you have chosen not to receive PMs tg...so no can do