mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Wheel question for a new Unit

So I am picking up my first single speed , a Kona Unit.
    Thinking about switching out wheelset to lighten up the bike.

Very confused. The thread I have linked below references ss specific hubs etc.

Do i need to buy a ss specific wheelset as opposed to a standard wheelset if I am sticking with single speed?

Thoughts on single speed 29er rear wheels?

Very limited choice of ss specific wheelset.

In fact I only found one here

Easton XC One 29 SS Disc 2010 > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I looked very hard for an SS wheel and eventually just bought geared wheels to replace the stock one I had on my Unit. I bought a conversion kit that let me play around with spacing and that had several sizes of spacers so I could use stamped cogs, or more fancy ones like the Surly or Chris King. I think the argument for SS specific wheels is that the build is stronger because there is less dish but at the end of the day that never mattered to me.

The bonus for getting a regular rear wheel is that you can run a 1x10 in the future if you wish--you just need a different drive side drop out.

mtbr member
    VERY late to the game here, but....
    I purchased a set of American Classic wheels with a SS specific rear hub. Been very happy with them, they seem absolutely bomb proof. I ride full rigid and after 2 1/2 years they still run perfectly true!
    Your results may vary, I'm about 190lbs and ride xc on Long Island, not many rocks or big drops, but we have plenty of roots!
    I would imagine you prob already pulled the trigger on a wheelset, but figured I'd throw it out there.
    Too soon old-Too late smart!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    mavic crossmax. best wheels ever. light, strong, stiff, and moderately priced. you'll never have to touch em. run em geared or single. will be replacing my stock 13' unit wheels after I beat on em for the winter/spring

rog