Shread Ready

What rear coil shock can I use on my 2005 Dawg Deelux?

Hi, I'm looking to make my 2005 Dawg Deelux as DownHill capable as possible for resort riding this season. So far I've bought a used All Mountain wheel set and I'm using beefy tires on them to help prevent flats. I get lots of flats with my current/Stock wheel set wrapped with Maxxis Larsens when resort riding so I"m hoping to prevent this from happening a lot this season.

Anyway, I know I've seen lots of people mention they put a Coil shock on their Dawgs but I searched and can't find any info. Can anyone let me know what Coil shock you use on your Dawgs? I like the stock RP23 but a Coil would be way better for resort riding. Let me know if you've upgraded yours and how you like it. Also let me know about any other upgrades you've done.

My Dawg has treated me well over the years and the only upgrades I've done were cranks/pedals/grips. I've ridden everything from jump park to slope style to local front range trails to Resort riding. It does it all great!

Here's a picture of it. I really like the race face cranks and the only reason I went purple was because they were $80 cheaper than the blues ones on jenson! The color has grown on me and looks pretty good with the black pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Measure the shock from eye to eye or center of top bolt to center of bottom bolt. Should be 7 7/8". The stroke should be 2". If it measures correctly thats the size of the shock you need, a 7 7/8" eye to eye shock with a 2" stroke. Depending on how much you weight 160-175 lbs a 600 lb spring should be about right.

The dawg will be ok for some small resort riding but if you want to go big you're better off getting a Stinky. I've got a Kikapu, Dawg & Stinky. The stinky will eat up resorts far better than a Dawg & it will last longer. But if you're looking for a 1 bike solution having a good rear shock and a longer front fork can make a bit of a difference on the dawg. Keep in mind the frame isnt made for big drops or dual crown forks.

You might also want to get an 8" rotor up front to keep the brakes from over heating, makes a huge difference if you'll be doing more down hill.

Also to keep from getting as many flats you may want to run DH tubes, 3x as thick as regular tubes, 3x heavier as well, but they do help prevent flats.
    Last edited by eshew; 06-24-2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: mo info

Shread Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Measure the shock from eye to eye or center of top bolt to center of bottom bolt. Should be 7 7/8". The stroke should be 2". If it measures correctly thats the size of the shock you need, a 7 7/8" eye to eye shock with a 2" stroke. Depending on how much you weight 160-175 lbs a 600 lb spring should be about right.

The dawg will be ok for some small resort riding but if you want to go big you're better off getting a Stinky. I've got a Kikapu, Dawg & Stinky. The stinky will eat up resorts far better than a Dawg & it will last longer. But if you're looking for a 1 bike solution having a good rear shock and a longer front fork can make a bit of a difference on the dawg. Keep in mind the frame isnt made for big drops or dual crown forks.

You might also want to get an 8" rotor up front to keep the brakes from over heating, makes a huge difference if you'll be doing more down hill.

Also to keep from getting as many flats you may want to run DH tubes, 3x as thick as regular tubes, 3x heavier as well, but they do help prevent flats.
    Hey, I appreciate the advise on the bike suggestions. I know that my Dawg isn't a dedicated DH bike but it handles the Resorts quite well. I've taken some pretty massive drops on it as well. I weigh 150lbs and like to think I ride light footed with flow. The Dawg has held up well and I intend to keep using it for resort riding. I"m just hoping to make it more capable. I'd go for a dedicated DH bike but that's too much $$$ for such a short season. I appreciate the info on how to measure and I'll look into that to see what might fit. I'm just hoping someone that has a Dawg like mine can chime in. I know I saw some people mention they ran Coils on their dawgs with great results. Also, I thought about the dedicated DH tires but I still want to try and keep the weight down a little in case I decide to use this wheelset while doing front range riding. I still might go for dedicated DH tubes but the tires I'm running should help a lot. The Maxxis Larsens are great but very thin.

Either way, I'm getting stoked to hit the resorts!

mtbr member
    I have a 7.875 x 2 Vanilla R with a 600# spring I'd be willing to trade for your RP23.

Located in VT.

Shread Ready

Bump

Bumping my old thread since I'm still in the same boat this DH season. I've been using my 2k5 Dawg Deelux at the resorts for a long time and with the beefy tires/wheel set it's helped a lot! I also don't have the issue with getting lots of flats after going to the thicker tires.

However, I'm still running my 2k5 Fox RP23 in the rear and it probably should get serviced. I had it serviced quite a few years ago but the oil is starting to look a little dirty.

So, I'm still looking into a coil shock for my Dawg. I'm still hoping someone has a coil on their Dawg that can chime in.

eshew has some excellent advise and I should be able to measure the eye to eye to see what other rear shocks I can use on my Dawg.

I'm pretty certain he's accurate about needing a rear shock that meets these specs>
    " a 7 7/8" eye to eye shock with a 2" stroke." I need to measure it again but I'm not sure about the Stroke?

Anyone know what eshew meant by the 2" stroke? I'm not sure what he was referring to?

Thanks again for any tips or suggestions. I'm getting a really late start on the DH season and hoping to get up and tear it up the rest of the season! I'm also looking at some used DH bikes and entertaining the idea of going dedicated DH.

I rented one of the crappy Specialized Demo 8's at the end of last season and I was hitting stuff bigger and harder after one day on a DH bike than I do I my Kona.

But that rental was heavy as heck and took more energy to maneuver than I thought.

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions!