mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Upgrading Rear Shock on 2009 Dawg Deluxe

Dear Everyone,

I currently own a 2009 Dawg Deluxe and am thinking of upgrading the shock to get a more plush feel in the rear suspension. I am using the stock Fox RP2 and while not a bad shock by any means; a more plush feel over small bumps without bottoming out would be perferred.

I am not too concerned about weight so a coil shock is an alternative. Please provide recommendations.

Best,

John

RIP Friendgirl

DHX 5 Coil

Size 200X50mm

As good as it gets without wiping out the bank account.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I was thinking of a Fox DHX 5 as well. Thanks for the size info.

Best,

John

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

No good

I'm considering going to a coil, instead of the stock RP2. Mine has about 261 miles of trail riding, and it's holding air and not leaking. My 09 Dawg weighs just a hair over 31 pounds, and I weigh around 165. I don't care about the extra pound of weight, or having propedal. I wonder if the Van R is a decent rear shock, or don't waste the money?

mtbr member
    you're selling yourself short if you dont consider an ISX6. mine has absolutely transformed my dawg. id say (compared to the isx6) the rp2 IS a bad shock. it doesnt do anything remotely as well!

mtbr member

Shread Ready
    Huh, I really like the RP2 on one of my bikes. I think it's great for climbing with pro-pedal . It's also pretty good for for XC and some light DH.

I ride an RP3 on my Kona Dawg Deelux 05. It's a very plush shock but can bottom out. I use it for a lot of DH and quite a bit of XC but it's not that great for climbing. I'd be interested in checking some of the ones mentioned here but I've always liked the RP2 and RP3.