mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New question here. Upgrade fork for Dawg...

I'm soon to purchase an '05 Dawg and I'm anticipating possibly wanting to upgrade the fork on it (I hear the EXR pro has difficulties). Anyone got any recommendations for all around riding use?

Thanks

Rocket Scientist
    Mar 2005
    How much are you getting your Dawg for?

FWIW, I've been thinking of the dawg, until I figured that I would probably be upgrading the fork. The local Kona dealer has the dawg for $1600 and the dawg dee-lux for $2000 (on sale). Not sure of your scenario, but for me I am considering the dee-lux to be worth the extra money up front cause it comes with a Fox Float R fork and nicer overall components.

mtbr member

Upgrade Fork VS Dawg Dee-Lux

Quote Originally Posted by Egar
    I'm soon to purchase an '05 Dawg and I'm anticipating possibly wanting to upgrade the fork on it (I hear the EXR pro has difficulties). Anyone got any recommendations for all around riding use?

Thanks
    I guess the question would be...how much do you want to spend and how much trade in will you get for the EXR(which retails for $215, expect about half as trade in). I ask this because for $500 more, you can get the Dawg Dee-lux with a very good fork (Fox Float R which retails for $480) and upgrades at almost every critical area (rear shock, cranks and BB, wheelset, derailuers, shifters, etc.). That said, Spending less than say...$300 on the upgrade might make it an ok deal. The Marzocchi MX comp in 120mm of travel is a great fork for the price, especially with the ETA to help on the climbs. The Manitou Splice Super fork also falls into that price range and has adjustable travel from 100-130mm and a lock-out. You might be able to find a Manitou Black or a Rock Shox Psylo on clearence somewhere, but both of these forks are older technology and wouldn't be much of an upgrade IMO.

Good luck, your on the right track by buying a Dawg in the first place.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Dawg price

Quote Originally Posted by CSMsi311

FWIW, I've been thinking of the dawg, until I figured that I would probably be upgrading the fork. The local Kona dealer has the dawg for $1600 and the dawg dee-lux for $2000 (on sale). Not sure of your scenario, but for me I am considering the dee-lux to be worth the extra money up front cause it comes with a Fox Float R fork and nicer overall components.

Let's just say I'm getting something like a pro deal type thing.... Say around 1000

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CSMsi311

Where is your dealer?
    I'm buying a Dawg Dee-Lux 2005 19" and I'm not sure that my local dealer will give me a discount.
    I could call him and buy it other the phone the tax free will cover the shipping at least!

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

not a dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Kona
    Where is your dealer?
    I'm buying a Dawg Dee-Lux 2005 19" and I'm not sure that my local dealer will give me a discount.
    I could call him and buy it other the phone the tax free will cover the shipping at least!

Thanks for your help.
    What I'm sayin is......it ain't a dealer.

mtbr member
    Don't forget the extra inch of travel on the Delux.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Fox Vanilla/Float 130, perfect fork for that bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

actually...

Quote Originally Posted by Bake
    Don't forget the extra inch of travel on the Delux.
    Actually, the Dawg, Dawg Dee-lux, and Dawg Primo all have 5 inches. The Dawg-Matic only has four. God I can't wait to get that bike, it's killing me!!

In the Kitchen
    Same question, except for an '03 Dawg with 4" of travel. I trashed the stock EXR that came on the bike and have been riding an '04 DJ III. (the DJ weighs close to 7lbs.!!! ) I want to get another fork, but I'm not sure how much would be too much up from with 4" in the rear. 120?? Maybe a Psylo or Black that would be adj. between 90 and 120 would be perfect?

Thoughts?
    Team Elevate Cycles - www.elevatecycles.com
    SMBA Member - www.saratogamtb.org
    Umphrey's McGee - www.umphreys.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I also heard that the RockShox pike is a good choice, but how hard is it to switch to a 20mm through axle? I also heard good things about the manitou Minute 2. Any comments on these topics?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Do the math. You can't pass up the Dee-Lux

I was trying to save some coin too but the Dee-Lux is hard to pass up with all the upgraded parts for an extra 400. You'll spend most of that to switch the fork alone. The Dee-Lux is a couple pounds lighter as well. The LBS said mine should be in early next week. Seems like eternity!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I agree. If you want a better fork the Dawg Dee Lux has it plus a better shock, better derailleurs, better crankset and BB, and a few other nicer parts.
    For $500 more it looks like a no-brainer to me.

A Pike and new 20 mm front wheel alone would cost you more.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Just roll it......

I just switched my Bear to an '04 'Zocchi Z1 FR.

I used to have a Fox Vanilla 125 on it, but got a screaming deal from a buddy that I couldn't pass up so I'm heading out tonight on it with the Z1. While it's a bit taller than my Fox (A2C), it also has the ETA for extended climbs.

FYI, Supergo has the '04 Z1 FR's for $299 online right now. Pretty screaming deal and I think would work very well with the new 5" version Dawg as well.

EB

In the Kitchen
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    I used to have a Fox Vanilla 125 on it, but got a screaming deal from a buddy that I couldn't pass up so I'm heading out tonight on it with the Z1. While it's a bit taller than my Fox (A2C), it also has the ETA for extended climbs.

FYI, Supergo has the '04 Z1 FR's for $299 online right now. Pretty screaming deal and I think would work very well with the new 5" version Dawg as well.

EB
    So you think I'll be ok w/ 5" in the front and 4" in the rear? ('03 Dawg)

Just roll it......

Absolutely.....

I was running my '02 Bear for a long while with a 5 x 5 setup (using the BETD linkage), but went back to the stock 4" linkage because the extra leverage ratio meant I had to run the rear shock much firmer than I preferred. While it was better for drops, it was less plush for trail riding. I've had a big bike for a while now and that linkage kind of became unnecessary.

Since I took those linkage plates off, I have been running the Vanilla 125 on it and really liked the angles more than the 4 x 4 or the 5 x 5 angles. It slackened the bike slightly and made it more fun / stable for the descents. I rode last night with the new Z1 on some wicked descents and it slackened it a bit more (than the Fox) and felt really incredible!! Something else, I enjoyed the ETA for the fireroad climbs to drop the front end a bit. Not something I'd use for trailriding, but for an extended climb, it seems like a great feature. Worth noting was that I was easily hanging with the lead pack of guys on the climbs last night....but that could be due to the fact that I wasn't hauling my 44 lb. bike uphill like I usually do.

FWIW, I'm running a similar setup on the big bike ('02 Stinky Primo). I've got a 7" 66RC (which is ridiculously tall) on the front and the rear has 6" of travel in the back. I love that setup as well and have found that the added travel up front and the slacker angles have made both bikes handle much better for my particular biking needs.

Cheers,
    EB

In the Kitchen
    Thanks!