mtbr member

Unit vs. Big Unit vs. Honzo for new single speed frame?

Just wondering if anyone can give a comparison between these three frames? All are pretty close in price, I don't have a preference in material though I'd like to try out a steel frame. I'm a super clyde and ride lots of roots and rocks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have ridden all three...
    Big Unit is the lightest and snappiest frame and my current singlespeed. Think race bike depending on the build.

Unit will be heavier but will offer a more compliant ride.

Haven't singlespeeded the Honzo but I have done a few rides geared... Geometry is more suited to aggressive trails. This frame will decend way way way better than the two units but will give up some points on the climbs. If your trails are more climb for a while then descend a ripping singletrack then this is the frame for you...You can run longer travel forks vs the units.

If your local trails have short climbs and mainly xc flow the units win for cross country domination.
    Hope this helps and isn't too late

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Same question, I'm looking to build a short chainstay SS, initially considered the Unit as a complete, with thoughts of adding suspension later, BUT if I want big suspension (more than 100mm) then I need to start with the Honzo...

Any SS Honzo riders out there?
    Can anyone compare the Honzo to the Niner ROS as single speeds?

Most of my riding will be cross country with lots of sustained climbing, occassional tech, but no serious DH. Would the Honzo be a happy climber or is the concensus that a Unit or a Big Unit would be a better fit?

Is the Big Unit significantly better than the Unit, ie are the extra $$ worth the weight difference and will I be beat up on Scandium any more than I would if I was riding steel?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Unit vs. Big Unit vs. Honzo for new single speed frame?

Steel is real. Scadium has a history of cracking.

I love my Unit. Geometry is dialed. It's a burly build and I strongly recommend the frame for clydes. However, I don't have first hand experience with the other two.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    6'/200#

Kinda like a Clyde

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    After a season and a half of SSing the Honzo, I have to say the Honzo is the most capable climbing SS I've been on. Capable in the sense of technical and/or loose climbs. Probably due to a combination of the short stays and short and high cockpit, that this type of bike encourages, which in turn maintains MUCH more weight on the back tire than typical XC SS.

Is it the fastest climbing SS? Depends. Groomed, traction rich trails? Nope. XC race geo will probably rule that terrain. But ledgy, techy, gnar like climbs...perhaps.

And of course, once the trail points down, the Honzo, or any of the other current breed of long-travel hard tails, will crush the decent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ride/race a fully stock minus the reflectors and bashguard 13' unit. brilliant bike right outta the box. very smooth riding frame and eats up the tech. no slouch on the climbs due to the stiffness, snappiness (compared to my indy ti 29er) which was way lighter, but flexy and didn't handle nearly as well. pretty awesome that a few hundred dollar frame rides way better than a 3 thousand+ dollar frame. I sold the indy.

the big unit is way lighter but way harsher. unit is great rigid, but i'd almost want a sussy fork with the big unit. drop frame weight, but add fork weight. 6's really.

no experience on honzo but sounds like a great ride.

rog

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Love my Honzo!

I'm a little over 6ft tall 240lbs and live in western PA (lots of roots and rocks) been riding a honzo single speed with a 140mm fork for almost a year and love it. I don't race I just ride for fun, had a giant xtc 29er before and never really enjoyed the cross country geometry. The honzo is the most fun bike I've ever owned.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I got the Taro and the Honzo, one for each of us

I'm sure the Unit is a fine bike for going straight, but if your riding is anything like mine (rocks, roots, twisty single track, steep abrupt climbs, fast twisting decents) then you want a performance bike like the Honzo.

It's like the difference between driving a Tahoe and a RAV, bigger and slower is great for carrying the soccer team...