Team Velveeta™

Unit Crank Lengths

On Konaworld.com for the Unit, one of the main selling points is "Xtra long FSA cranks (up to 180mm)". What frame sizes come with the long crank arms? Is it optional?

I'm probably going to want the 20" complete bike. But I don't like long cranks. I just don't swing that way. Can my shop order a 20" Unit with 175s?
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

EXORCIZE
    According to cnewell, the 2011 unit had 180mm cranks: Kona Unit 2011 Components 2012 is probably the same.

Swap to 175mm? Ask your shop.
    ride natty ride

Team Velveeta™

yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    According to cnewell, the 2011 unit had 180mm cranks: Kona Unit 2011 Components 2012 is probably the same.

Swap to 175mm? Ask your shop.
    Thanks for the response.

Especially on a bike like the Unit where price point is very aggressive, I can't imagine that there would be much interest from Kona in ripping open the box and swapping out a part. Hoping maybe they would be willing to ship another crank and take back the 180, maybe having me pay a restocking fee.

The shop I would work with on this is brand-new, with a brand-new relationship with Kona. I don't want to throw a bunch of hassle at them, or ask them to put a 180mm singlespeed specific new crankset on their shelf. But I'd also rather not need to take craigslist price minus shipping for a new 180 crank and pay retail for the one I actually want.

Just kind of a shame that Kona drank the "long cranks for singlespeeders" koolaid. Some of us actually like to spend as much time as possible seated. An extra half cm per arm really is only a tiny increase in lever advantage when standing, but a significant load on the joint when seated and trying to pedal circles.

My opinion of course.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

EXORCIZE
    I personally love 180mm cranks (been using them for 5 years since my 20" Haro Mary SS came with them) but I have a 37" inseam, so I understand where you're coming from. Good luck.
    ride natty ride