Thread: Unit??

mtbr member

Unit??

Lately I have been wanting a single speed. Thought I was going to buy a Gary Fisher Rig, cost about 1G, but another LBS offered me a smoking great deal on a Unit. Can I have some feedback on the Unit.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenfallover
    Lately I have been wanting a single speed. Thought I was going to buy a Gary Fisher Rig, cost about 1G, but another LBS offered me a smoking great deal on a Unit. Can I have some feedback on the Unit.
    Thanks!
    Check out the reviews of the bike on this website. It was picked as one of the top singlespeeds out of all featured on this website.

It is well known for being one of the best handling and outfitted (component wise) for it's price range ($800).

mtbr member
    The Unit is awesome...I've had it for about 8 months and just love riding it. Pretty decent retail price which allows you for plenty of upgrade options, I have basically switched out all the stock parts...but still riding the stock P2 fork.

The fit for me just feels perfect, and steel is just great for SS riding. The rear drop out set up makes rear wheel removal + adjustment very easy.

Basically no complaints. I'll try o post a pic tommorow.

mtbr member
    I happen to have a unit that I have been riding for ~ 2 years and a Rig that I have been riding for ~ 2 months.
    The unit has had lots of miles and has done me well , it was set up real well from kona and carves like a knife.
    The rig has had some problems that made me wish kona was out with there 29...... some are parts spec. others are geometry.
    (My GF asked "what does this geneses sticker mean?" I responded with "well what does that word mean to you" she "some one messed up and changed it" me "that's right, only this is geneses one, more are in the wings")

I am happy just to ride so get what you want and use it.
    In time (and money) I will likely diss the rig for a custom 29 and keep the unit for a light carver to rip on.

And He was Not
    I've got a explosif, which is basicly the same frame as a unit. I bought it as a frame only. I had a Ti S/S that I had cracked the frame on. After riding mine for a while, I've decide I decided it is just as good ,if not btter than my Ti S/S. You can't go wraong with a Unit.
    Here is a pix. 23.5lbs with 2.3 tires and a Fox Talas fork. This bike ROCKS .
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Love my Unit

Feedback is what you seek? Feedback you just found.

As a complete bike is a great riding, great handling, piece of OX steel at an excellent price. In my case mine was built from the frame up so I can't discuss about the components and rigid fork but for a ~$800 bike is pretty well equiped.

My ride was build from the frame up and has the components that I already had or was able to afford. It has Thomson stem and post, Maxm bar, ODI lock ons, Hayes disk brakes, Selle Italia saddle, Zocchi EXR Pro fork, Deore cranks, Salsa 32t ring, Boone 20t cog, PVC spacers, SRAM PC69 chain, XT BB, Candies, Mavic X3.1 laced to SunRace JuJu MX hubs and Maxxis Ignitors UST.

I love to ride it so much that my geared full boinger is a dust collector on the garage.

Feel free to PM me for more details or help building your ride

Over the Hill
    Brought a frame 6 weeks ago and had The Path in Tustin, CA. build it up for me with some parts I already had. They are selling and building many Unit's.

The 5-Spot only gets used 1 out of 4 rides now. If I could climb 3-4000 ft on the Unit the Spot would get used less. It is kinda cool going downhill without any noise.

Just buy it!

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenfallover
    Thanks!

You might be on the wrong forum If you want to hear anything negative about a Unit. the only negative thing I remember, and I think we will all agree is, The paint Chips Real easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    The paint Chips Real easy.
    And the dull color scheme.

Other than that the bike is great.

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    And the dull color scheme.

Other than that the bike is great.
    Your right there, Your bike bike is hard to find in front of that mosaic backgroud.