Thread: Two Konas

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Two Konas

I would post these on the "Show Your Kona" thread, but my ancient dial-up internet makes it take too long to even view it, so here they are on their own:

1.) 2004 Kikapu (Deluxe). It started life as a regular Kikapu. I work at a shop and thus decided I could cheaply upgrade the parts by buying a Kikapu deluxe and swapping out what I wanted, namely the brakes, fork, and rear shock. I know it would have been easier to just keep the Deluxe and sell the Kikapu. I preferred the black and silver color scheme, plus I already had the Truvativ Firex cranks, carbon seatpost, and carbon handlebar, all of which are no longer on this bike.

As it stands now, the bike is better than the Kikapu Deluxe. Upgrades over the Deluxe include XT rear derailleur, LX front, Race Face Evolve X-type cranks, IRD stem and seatpost, Easton carbon riser bars, FSA Orbit Extreme headset, and a few other control parts. I plan to upgrade the wheels as soon as I get more money. Then, possibly the shifters, but the Deore units work great.

The sad part is that I haven't gotten to ride this one much at all. As clean as it is, it looks like I have never ridden it on dirt, but I do have a bad habit of keeping my things spotless (nevermind my dirty truck in the background, haha).

2.) 2004 Fire Mountain. This started out as a replacement for my brick heavy Raleigh mountain bike I used for riding to class. At first, I figured I would leave it pretty much stock except for the Deore rear derailleur, Shimano Alivio v-brakes, and Avid levers I had on my Raleigh. Those items made the bike a bit nicer, but still not too nice where I was concerned about it drawing too much attention from thieves.

The funny thing about this bike was I never intended to upgrade it much, but it kept inheriting parts from big brother Kikapu as I kept upgrading stuff on it. At first, the only thing I ever purchased outright for the Fire Mtn. was an inexpensive set of wheels (Araya double-wall rims on Deore hubs $55) from Nashbar. It finally got to a point where the bike was so nice, it was begging for a nicer fork than the obese pogo stick it came with. I found a great deal on a Marzocchi MX Comp 85mm (cheaper than dealer cost through one of the shop's distributors), so I pounced on the deal. With what I sold the old fork for, the upgrade cost me only $50. Then I sprung for a nicer headset and some nice WTB flat pedals just for the heck of it.

So, now I've got a pretty nice hardtail, which is too nice for me to leave outside during class. Funny thing is, with what I spent on the bike in upgrades compounded with the fact that I actually sold my old bike for more than what I paid for this one, I have little over $130 tied up in this one. It has stayed way too clean, I know. I generally prefer riding the fully, so this one isn't as likely to be ridden. I figure it will make a great back-up for loaner bike, so I don't really care about having an extra bike taking up space.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Yeah..that black and silver looks purdy! Nice bikes.
    [SIZE=5]
    Shot through the heart
    And you're to blame
    You give love a bad name...
    [/SIZE]