mtbr member

Trying to find derailleur dropout for Unit?

I picked up a Unit a few months ago, and had the LBS order one of the sliding dropouts with the derailleur hanger for me. It's been a few months now, and the shop still has no idea if/when it will be available. And I emailed Kona about it a few weeks ago, but haven't heard back.

I'm not in a huge rush to run gears, but this is a pretty basic part and I don't think it should take months to get one. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? Or if this is a Kona thing, or a problem with the Canadian distributor, or...?

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    I ordered one from Highintensitybikeshop.com in New Hampshire a few months ago. I was actually ordering some pedals from them and I thought to ask about the derailluer hanger as an afterthought. They happened to have one in stock although it was not listed on their website. Try emailing them. It's the second time I've ordered from that site and I've had good experiences both times.

I am also not in a huge hurry to run gears, so I haven't tried it yet (also, I don't have a 29er geared rear wheel). I don't know if what I got is a Kona part or something "after market". I will try it once the high country rides open up in the summer and I need more gears than the 21t that I'm currently using.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Similar experience for me in US. I bought my frame back in January 2010 and still haven't been able to source one. To be honest, I haven't been trying every day, but I have tried at least 5 different shops over a 1 year period. I talked with Kona on 2 separate occasions and never got any useful information (they did respond - but no ETA). I basically gave up. They won't see another dime from me.

mtbr member
    That kindof sucks. Great bike, but how hard is it to machine a little piece of aluminum and keep it in stock? Guess I'll really need to start hunting if I want one.
    Last edited by newfangled; 06-02-2011 at 09:19 PM.

lurking since 1999
    Oct 2005
    Hey Newfangled,
    Just about the same situation for me a few months ago.
    Try Bikeman.com, that's where I got my hanger for my Explosif.

Thomas

mtbr member
    I did hear back from Kona (sent a second email to their tech address instead of the generic one, and they got back to me immediately). They say there are dropouts in Canada, and they're going to hook my shop up?

They also show up on Kona's international store here, but not the US or Canadian one. And shipping costs from the international one are pretty prohibitive.

Anyway, hopefully my shop should have one waiting for me shortly.

upgrade until you suck
    Nov 2005
    The story I heard from my LBS was that Kona had a container from overseas that had the dropouts and some bikes that were stolen, and that was the reason for the major delay. I got a derailleur dropout when I built up my Big Unit at the start of the year and had to sell it to another rider in the area that built his up as a geared bike, but the replacements are, like you said, on 'any day now' status.

mtbr member
    Just an update that I picked up the geared dropout from my LBS last week. Still not sure what caused all the delays, but the dropouts definitely do exist and are available (in Canada, at least).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Is the 'CC' part the right one for my bike? This is what I have:

This is what I want:

The guy on the Kona support forum said to use a 'V' hanger and run it in the full-forward position, since the V doesn't have the little tensioner screw. But I want to be able to adjust the chainstay length. I don't know why he didn't just give the part number for the proper hanger

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Maybe I found my own answer, this looks like the right part:
    https://shop.konaworld.com/eu/produc...pout%2C-Geared

But it's not listed on the Canadian site. This seems like it should be a lot simpler...

mtbr member
    I think that's the right one. The newer Units (after 2010?) have a slightly different drop-out that's painted black, and that doesn't have the locking washers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Little update so I can whine a bit.

Ordered a geared dropout for my Big Unit ~2 months ago. LBS promptly got in the wrong part and have not been able to get the correct one. They say they do not have a way to look up the correct part number, they have to phone Kona and describe the part that they want And I don't understand why this isn't on their webstore in the first place. Thanks Kona for making this a PITA.

mtbr member
    ^ that sucks, but my LBS was no help in this either.

I emailed tech@konaworld.com and they got back to me within a day. I told them what I wanted, where I was, and what shop I was dealing with. Within a week my shop had the part. Prior to that all the shop could tell me was that they'd placed the order, but had no idea when it would be filled.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I talked to my LBS again on Sat but if there is no progress I will give that a shot, thanks for the tip. I don't really need the part, I just want to try out a geared setup. I think I'm just grumpy this morning, but I can't help thinking how ticked I'd be if I couldn't ride.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I still haven't used mine. It'll be going on in a month or two to help get me through the winter, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    hey spsoon, it says you are from calgary? I went to bow cycle and got the geared part for my 2010 unit. they got the wrong part at first (ordered the standard ss dropout), but they got it right the second time. is that who you are dealing with? they are pretty good with ordering parts i find. i dealt with a british guy named duncan, he was very helpful

i'd give you a kona part number but don't have it on the reciept

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah I've been dealing with Bow. Is yours the steel frame or the scandium? The wrong part they brought in for me was for the steel frame I think.

Everytime I go in it's a different guy at the desk, and they say "Your part's right here!". No, that's the same wrong one you've had since July Then they promise to find out what's going on and phone me, but it never happens. Oh well, I think I'll just go get my deposit back since the season's almost out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    it is the metallic green steel frame, so different than the picture above. this is what i got: but the part numbers on the tag are bow specific i think, plus regardless it is the wrong piece for you i guess.

i can certainly relate to dealing with the different folks there. hopefully you'll get it sorted out. the guy duncan was good to deal with

mtbr member
    From what I understand from the posts above, I can just ask my LBS (US Kona dealer) to get one for my 2011 Unit and I'll get the correct part? How much does it cost?

mtbr member
    Your kona shop should be able to get you one in for about $30. But when I tried that it took months and months, and they still didn't get it in. So eventually I got bored and emailed tech@konaworld.com telling them what I wanted, and they got the dropout to my shop within a week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i'm almost scared looking to buy another kona frame due to the hassle finding this dropout took...but i guess it gets all sorted out eventually

Members who have read this thread: 0