mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Tried 29er wheels on Explosif or Unit?

Anyone ever tried to fit big wheels on these sliding dropout frames (with the right size fork)? Would they fit some of the narrower 29er tires or big cx tires (say 45s)? -
    Or any clue if there will be an XS Unit 29er?
    !st 2 questions more important - I probably won't wait for '06 frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I saw an Explosif with a 29er front wheel and 26 in the back. I think you might be able to fit a 29er wheel in a suspension corrected fork. I think if you could even fit a 29er on the rear, you would have a crazy high bottom bracket.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    The 2006 Unit will come in a 29er version. Not sure about explosif though and I'm not sure if it will have a frame only option either.

curds and gravy fool

Done it- Do it.

I have a 2004 Unit. I've been running a 29" wheel in the front on a Tange rigid disc fork for about three months now and love it. The geometry ends up being about where you'd be with a sagged 80mm fork on the front with a 26" wheel. There's no noticable flopping about on the front, and just enough mud clearance (with a Kenda Klaw). So, highly recommended if you want run rigid. It'll give you a confidence inspiring front end.

Some advice on other forks:

I tried the P2 disc fork, but it actually has less clearance than it's brake post counterpart. The tire won't even fit- so don't bother.

The Surly 1x1 fork works, but the clearance is just too tight. A buddy of mine uses it, but gets mud and leaves jambed up inside the steerer.

2005 Unit/ Explosif has a slacker geo than the 2004, so if that's what you have, you may find the front too floppy at slower speeds.
    Sometimes you gotta hold onto the grass to stop from flying off the earth.

i heart singletrack

I've done the 29/26 combo on my '05 Explosif...

I was running my '05 Explosif with a 29" front wheel using a Kinesis cyclocross fork, and it handled awesome. Unfortunately, the 20 screws and two plates in my right forearm don't really like riding bikes with rigid front ends too much anymore... It sucks to get old and broken! HA!

Here are a couple of pics of the bike built up as a "bast@rd 'niner".

Cheers,
    MG
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Think the larger wheel would fit in the back with a narrower tire and the dropouts moved as far to the rear as they'll go? People have done this with their Surly 1x1's and IRO Mia's. I know the BB would be high but I'm just curious if it will work.
    Thanks

i heart singletrack

i bet it'd fit, but...

Just looking at it, I think you could shoehorn a 29" wheel into the rear dropouts with them slid all the way back, provided you had a disc wheel. Otherwise the brake posts would (obviously) not line up).

I'll be curious to hear if anyone has had any success with this. Personally, I can't wait for my new Unit-29 frame to come in!

Cheers,
    MG

Daddy of 3 now!
    Wow, that pic. shows a dramatic diff. in wheel size between 26 & 29. I've been reading/lurking the 29 board for quite some time and I'm thinking about building one up. I'm going to wait for some feedback on the Kona 29 unit. I like the idea about sliding dropouts and being able to convert the dropout to run gears.