mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Ti Rove build advice?

Hi all, I need advice on building up a Rove.
    I ordered the fancy Titanium frame and it's in! But now I gotta figure out the build...
    This is going to be a jack-of-all-trades; rain bike/commuter/gravel bike.
    I want it to be light and durable. It needs to be light enough to keep up w/ teammates on training rides in the winter. (Yeah, yeah- it's the engine, not the chassis). OTOH, we also have some great hilly gravel rides here in the PacNW, so I want it to be supremely capable for that.

Feel free to comment on ANY of these choices, but the ones that I'm really stumped on at the moment are;
    Rotors - should I go 140 all around or 160 front/140 rear?
    tires/tubes No idea here. Do I need two sets of tires? Schwalbe Marathon???
    wheels ?????? I am hoping to do these in the $400- $800 range. Would Stan's Iron Cross work for road/commuting/gravel? (I wasn't planning on tubeless except maybe for gravel, if I end up w/ two sets).

bottom bracket Chris King (it's wet here in the Pac NW)
    Brakes TRP HyRd (Overkill? Maybe, but the price)
    chain KMC? model? Any recommendations?
    Crankset Ultegra compact? Shimano CX gearing?
    Fork Whisky No 7 disc
    Front derailleur 105 or Ultegra 105
    Headset Chris King
    pedals Shimano XT SPD’s (M780 or M785?)
    Rear derailleur Ultegra
    seat Selle Italia C2 Gel
    seat clamp KCNC?
    Shifters Ultegra

Currently have;
    cassette SRAM 1070, 12-28
    handlebars Salsa Cowbell
    seat post Thomson Elite
    stem Easton EA-70

Anyway, since this is a different sort of bike, I'm lost on what to do for some parts, especially the wheels and tires.
    Thanks for any advice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Damb. 21 hours and zero replies.

Okay, too many questions mebbe.
    Howzabout just a word of advice on wheels;

If you had a CX/road/touring/commuter/gravel bike- what disc wheels would you put on it?

TIA

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Two sets of wheels:

One for "fast/skinny tire" racing days, the other "bomb proof/fat tire" for gravel.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler View Post
    Two sets of wheels:

One for "fast/skinny tire" racing days, the other "bomb proof/fat tire" for gravel.
    Yeah, that's kinda what I'm coming up with.
    Any recommendations for either set?

get down!
    Iron Cross are awesome. I run them on my Ti Rove. Dreaming of carbon hoops though.

Tires. Clement makes great ones. Why not tubeless? I passed so many people on the Dirty Kanza with flats and I couldn't imagine having to mess with that. I run Specialized Ground Control 29x1.8 and they are amazing.

Most of this is personal preference so you won't get many responses really. Run what you know. I run a Ti layback post, salsa cowbells in 46cm and avid road bb7s. 160mm rotors.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Iron Cross are awesome. I run them on my Ti Rove. Dreaming of carbon hoops though.
    Yeah, I'd love to get some Spesh Control Carbon SL's! (For gravel, not for rain bike/commuting). Although Stan's probably make a lot more sense for gravel.
    If I got Stan's for road stuff, sounds like I'd be better off w/ Alpha 340's/400's over the Iron Cross though, accdg to people on the Stan's forums.

Tires. Clement makes great ones. Why not tubeless? I passed so many people on the Dirty Kanza with flats and I couldn't imagine having to mess with that. I run Specialized Ground Control 29x1.8 and they are amazing.
    I think it's really that Clement has come out w/ such specific tires now- that is a great suggestion, thank you. (Although that does sort of solidify that I'd be better off running 2 separate wheel/tire sets). Yeah, I think for gravel, tubeless is an excellent way to go.

Run what you know. I run a Ti layback post, salsa cowbells in 46cm and avid road bb7s. 160mm rotors.
    Nice! Which seatpost, if I may ask?
    I looked at the Lynskey one, but wasn't too sure about the Enve-style one bolt seat attachmt setup. Just got my Cowbells (44cm) and I like them a lot. I was surprised at how mild the flare really is. Drop could be a tad deeper, but whatever.

get down!
    Moots post.

I'll be selling my Iron Cross wheels if you're interested. Just spring for some Enve carbon hoops!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I am just starting on my Ti Rove build also, I am going to build out with Force 22, disc, Whiskey disc fork, Thompson, seat post, handlebar, and stem, not sure about wheels yet, looked at carbon wheels but very pricey. Specialized has a 28 mm tire that looks good. I will be following your build, best of luck. I managed to build a ti Rajiin last year, my garage is taking on a Kona theme.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That's very cool- I like that Kona has been doing these limited run editions.

Visited my frame over the weekend. (It's at my not-so-LBS, who is building it).
    Almost have all the parts together- hopefully by the end of next week!
    Sorry for the crappy pics.
    Frame weighed 4.12 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ti Rove build advice?-photo-2-.jpg  

Ti Rove build advice?-photo-1-.jpg  

Ti Rove build advice?-photo-3-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm going to put light-bicycle.com carbon wheels, probably the narrower "29er" ones, on mine once I convince my wife to let me order it.

LFJ
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    [QUOTE=appleSSeed;10554316] I run Specialized Ground Control 29x1.8 and they are amazing.

I looked on the specialized web site but don't see a Ground Control 29x1.8. Where are they available? That tires sparks an interest for me and surprised to hear it fits on a Rove I was thinking the largest would be 1.5's.
    Also do you have them set up tubeless?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Rotors - should I go 140 all around or 160 front/140 rear?
    160 for both. Ever done a mountain descent on a road bike?

tires/tubes No idea here. Do I need two sets of tires? Schwalbe Marathon???
    I have 32c Marathon Supreme's on mine for long distance road/touring. They are almost slick, so not great for gravel, but they have about 60% tread left after 3000km.

wheels ?????? I am hoping to do these in the $400- $800 range. Would Stan's Iron Cross work for road/commuting/gravel? (I wasn't planning on tubeless except maybe for gravel, if I end up w/ two sets).
    I have Stan's Crest 29er. Weight is only about 100g more, and I figure they would be stronger. Plus the extra width helps with comfort and grip.

bottom bracket Chris King (it's wet here in the Pac NW) Sure. Although I've had no problems with regular Shimano BBs.
    Brakes TRP HyRd (Overkill? Maybe, but the price) Avid BB7 works for me.
    chain KMC? model? Any recommendations? I like Shimano chains, but add a KMC quick link so you can take it off for cleaning.
    Crankset Ultegra compact? Shimano CX gearing? I have a 105 compact because it was available at the time. I would go Ultegra compact. CX gearing is too close for me.
    Fork Whisky No 7 disc I have this. It is wonderful.
    Front derailleur 105 or Ultegra 105 I have a 105. Doesn't shift as well as the Ultegra 6700 I used to have.
    Headset Chris King Sure. Its quite expensive in the size that you need for the tapered fork. I got an FSA.
    pedals Shimano XT SPD’s (M780 or M785?) Your preference. I use Time ATAC.
    Rear derailleur Ultegra I use XT with 11-34 cassette for climbing.
    seat Selle Italia C2 Gel
    seat clamp KCNC? The frameset comes with one (at least mine did).
    Shifters Ultegra Probably the best bet. I have bar-ends for back country reliability. But if I weren't going to be in such remote areas I would go with Ultegra.

Currently have;
    cassette SRAM 1070, 12-28 I like a wider range. If you have a compact crankset, having a cassette with an 11 will be useful. I spun out 50x11 at 84km/h downhill.
    handlebars Salsa Cowbell Yes.
    seat post Thomson Elite Yes.
    stem Easton EA-70 Everything else you have is fancy, don't skimp here!